Author Topic: What a Morning  (Read 8868 times)

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: What a Morning
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 04:29:17 PM »
I don't have a sweet of a pre reg system as Allen but ours works. Hoping to build another over the summer that's a little tighter.

We do not have a screen room, actually a 16' long closet with sliding doors and set up our screens on the reg board out in the open shop. I have not seen any difference in exposure or quality of screens doing it this way comparing the ones done early morning or night with just a small light on across the shop or during the day.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 04:38:16 PM »
Ours would have to walk from out in the warehouse in LED light, inside to Florescent light, to a FPU, do your thing, then march it back out to the warehouse to burn. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »
I have a grid drawn on my # one pallet and if I use my junky FPU I made it lines up almost dead on with just a touch of micro, but still not perfect.  Set up is a time killer if you got to fool around with it a lot.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 05:20:08 PM »
that's cool. we've been working on the same 4 color discharge job, 400pcs since 9am this morning. feeling great about that.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 06:30:31 PM »
Our FPU is right next to the exposure unit which is out in the main shop area.  We bring the screen out of the dark room and put film on it then place it on the expo unit and burn. 

And final tally to the day, 13 jobs done, 45 screens, about 1800 imprints and around 1100 garments.  I know for many shops that's done by lunch time or even first break, but we're not set up to do this every day.  I'm wore out.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 06:34:09 PM »
Got here about 5:30 and asked that the production crew get here as early as they could

5:30 eh..

imagine how much work you could have done ON your business in that time vs working IN it..

next time tell them, don't ask them to come in early.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 06:26:09 AM »
Ouch......classic Bill Hoodism. In reality this is just not always possible. People have families with kids. Transportation issues, etc. A good work around is staggering hours. Those who can get in early can leave early, etc. You can often find that more can be accomplished with the same amount of people in the same amount of total hours this way. Also you may find less stress to the facility with regards to issues such as pre-press. It is 6:30 here with one crew already printing. Pre-press in at 7:00. Rest of crew at 7:30.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 06:49:50 AM »
Alan, my hat's of to you, for all you do to keep that company going. I have a good idea what you put into it. You've done a great job and I know you will continue to. It's a fortunate company to have you in charge of production. Just make sure you take time for you family and friends this weekend.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 07:02:40 AM »
Ditto. BTW anyone want to guess who played Barth Gimble's co-host. Dave you can't play.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 08:56:11 AM »
Got here about 5:30 and asked that the production crew get here as early as they could

imagine how much work you could have done ON your business in that time vs working IN it..

I work in it and on it and over the years I've gone from doing nothing but working in it to now splitting the time about 50/50.  Tony, I wasn't thinking a Billism but a Samism.  I understand the concept and by doing both I've been able to impact sales growth by making sure quality is high and we get things done on time so customers come back.  I agree working on the business will bring in more work but getting my hands dirty does affect the bottom line and that is keeping customers happy and coming back, and then telling others.  Both can work well together.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 09:04:23 AM »
I honestly don't HAVE to lift a finger to keep production going. But I feel like if I don't jump in (by choice or demand) I might be missing something. Are the processes we have in place being followed. Is there a better way to do something? Just 'cuz "that's the way we've always done it" doesn't make it the best way. Times change, equipment changes, people change. Do I need to tweak a procedure to make sure we're at peak performance? Hard to tell if I don't jump in every once in a while. I have spent time in the last week, off and on, in reclaim with a newer guy, working on refining both his and my techniques. I guess maybe I'll be scolded for saying it, but I think there are plenty of time you do have to work IN your business.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 09:10:58 AM »
Agreed both Alan and Dave. A healthy mix is best. I could go on but you guys nailed it.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 09:32:45 AM »

I work in it and on it and over the years I've gone from doing nothing but working in it to now splitting the time about 50/50.  Tony, I wasn't thinking a Billism but a Samism.  I understand the concept and by doing both I've been able to impact sales growth by making sure quality is high and we get things done on time so customers come back.  I agree working on the business will bring in more work but getting my hands dirty does affect the bottom line and that is keeping customers happy and coming back, and then telling others.  Both can work well together.

See Alan it is folks like me you and Tony that prove the theory "Owners only care about the business" Wrong. Not saying its not the case of course but owners need to invest in who is operating their business and take the time and find the right person. I know I invest myself fully in to this business and strive to make our business better, its not just for prides sake but also for the owner and other employees.

I bet their is some managers that put more into the business than actual owners, I know of a few shops here in my state like that. Their places would crumble with out the person they have at the helm.
"No man is an island"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 11:06:15 AM »
One of the larger screen print shops here who are friends of ours owner works 50/50 in his shop and they have plenty of workers, he just like being on the floor and in the mix.  Only time he stays in the office is talking with me or with customers and most times our talk is out on the floor, by the we came in early this morning and knock out a few jobs.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 11:27:24 AM »
I am here by 6-6:30 almost every day, some days I will roll in more like 5:30.  I am always here till at least 5, often 6-7...at times 10pm.  I almost always work at least 1 full day on the weekends doing stuff that has to be done by a owner like payroll, balancing the books, taxes, paying the bills, and so on. Daily I find myself all over this shop, sales, embroidery, artwork, stickers, pull shirts, help set up and break down press, etc.  It's all things really.  Where ever the hand is needed. Lately I am rebuilding our website and working on getting our sticker business going with our new machine.

I have never said there aren't great employees out there like Alan, Mike, etc.  I have only said that it must be nice as a employee to not have to do some of the things I have to do so you can spend more time in other areas. I know those parts of my shop would improve if I had a bit more time.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube