Author Topic: American Success story...maybe NOT  (Read 1393 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
American Success story...maybe NOT
« on: May 29, 2014, 07:48:52 AM »

On what freaking planet does this make any sense....If I were a bike manufacturer especially the off shore guys I would be sending this guy a FREE repair offer to FIX HIS HARLEY and I would do it on national TV.
Think about it HD is a BIG ASS company and they just thumbed their nose at everyone who made them big with this stupid decision...what a crock of shicznit
What comes next from HD we can't honor your warrantee because your old lady causes too much drag.

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/biker-claims-harley-davidson-voided-warranty-for-riding-with-flags-204723398.html
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline aauusa

Re: American Success story...maybe NOT
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 08:23:16 AM »
now that is funny,   I am on the side of HD.   If they allowed that then what else  will open up for them to cover. 

But just a side note would it make any difference if these flags were Nazi  and KKK flags which the rider flew from rally to rally.  would it even get media time/   I think the story became the media because of the flags not the warranty.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:37:47 AM »
the answer should have been, "This not covered by the warranty, but thank you for all you have done and we will fix it for you!"

with the PR guy brings them and the service to the country in both the Nam and state senate, they should have fixed it as a good will gesture.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:11:25 AM »
the answer should have been, "This not covered by the warranty, but thank you for all you have done and we will fix it for you!"

with the PR guy brings them and the service to the country in both the Nam and state senate, they should have fixed it as a good will gesture.

pierre

Did you play the video...this guy rode a HD 2 million actual miles, it is now in Sturgis museum he is HD 100% and packs everything HD stands for into a one man package. I would think he is the poster child for everything HD stands for and they stiff him for what is a $2000.00 repair.
Don't misunderstand me here I do not ride, it is not a bike thing with me and I am not a Vet, will NEVER be in politics. But to me this was a golden opportunity for HD to
cover a true dedicated customer and make some real positive ground from the opportunity. Instead HD saws off the branch they are sitting on after climbing way back up in the tree after the AMF ownership crash and burn. From a business standpoint I just don't get it maybe that is why HD is big$$$$ and I am flat a$$ broke.
mooseman 
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:26:28 AM »
I remember HD offering this Japanese guy who's bike was swept away by the tsunami and washed ashore in Canada to get it fixed and shipped back to Japan for free. He respectfully declined the offer and asked them to preserve it in his current state and to exhibit it in their HD museum.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 10:51:34 AM »
Those flags certainly must cause a lot of excessive drag on the engine/transmission. No one here can deny that. But I agree it would have been good PR for HD to honor the warranty.

Makes me think tho what if a rider is exceptionally large and wide, he would cause a lot of resistance to the bike when riding, what does Harley do about that?

"No man is an island"

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »
I can understand a little, but what about bikers that tow trailers. We have a very large motorcycle association client with more than 300 chapters within the nation, and in other countries. Not all HD riders, but a lot of the riders in the national chapter here tow pretty heavy load trailers with their Ultras and Road Kings, with the stock standard transmission. I would imagine these trailers cause more drag than a couple flags. Especially when one rider I know weighs about 400 lbs, his wife is tipping 230 or so, then pull a pretty large tow behind the Ultra Classic that has their two bulldogs and the back end of the trailer holds event gear. It's actually mind boggling that they pull such a big trailer behind the bike, but these folks go to all the events, "RIDING" from Lakeland Fl to Sturgis and beyond. Makes ya wonder. I love HD bikes, want one soon enough, but also have had my eyes on the Star Raider,  ;D
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 03:58:17 PM »
It was a busted clutch. Depending on what actually broke, the cost to Harley to fix it under warranty would've been negligible. Clutch basket is a little pricy, but only for those of us that ain't sellin' 'em. The rest of the parts are pretty cheap.
Considering his "celebrity" as an HD rider, I'd have fixed it. I'm sure that the drag from those flags stresses the drive train, but his warranty will be up and the rest of the fixes will be on him anyway. The part about the flag holders not being a Harley part is bulls#it.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .