Artist > ART Pricing

Custom Designs vs Clipart/Stock Art

(1/4) > >>

Boldline:
I was reading an older thread about people wanting artwork that costs 200 dollars for a "nickel". It made me think about the kinds of design work we as artists provide. Those who are wanting cheap art, are they expecting custom designs or are they happy with stock art/clipart? For me the more customized he design, the more the design costs.

blue moon:

--- Quote from: BoldLineDesign on May 17, 2014, 01:16:31 AM ---I was reading an older thread about people wanting artwork that costs 200 dollars for a "nickel". It made me think about the kinds of design work we as artists provide. Those who are wanting cheap art, are they expecting custom designs or are they happy with stock art/clipart? For me the more customized he design, the more the design costs.

--- End quote ---

Many ppl expect something for nothing, it is not much different with artwork. Then there are those of us that pay the fair rate for clip art and custom work. We have a large, expensive collection of clip art and fonts that is used for the less demanding customers. When a canned solution is not enough, we get the art done and pay hundreds of dollars for it.

So yes, many ppl will want Champagne on the beer budget! It is your job to find customers willing to pay the going rate if you wish to stay in business. . .

Pierre

Boldline:

--- Quote from: blue moon on May 17, 2014, 08:38:54 AM ---Many ppl expect something for nothing, it is not much different with artwork. Then there are those of us that pay the fair rate for clip art and custom work. We have a large, expensive collection of clip art and fonts that is used for the less demanding customers. When a canned solution is not enough, we get the art done and pay hundreds of dollars for it.

So yes, many ppl will want Champagne on the beer budget! It is your job to find customers willing to pay the going rate if you wish to stay in business. . .

Pierre

--- End quote ---

So you pay out hundreds to an artist to get a custom design...is that something you end up tacking on to your customer charge or do you warn them upfront? I agree there are those who do not care about the design beyond keeping it as cheap as possible!

Frog:
I can handle the needs of most of my clients, but go to outside sources when rendering or somewhat sophisticated computer skills and/or sepping are required.
Art is always listed as a separate charge.
I ask clients what their art budget is, and order or create appropriately.

I also collect a deposit on the full job, or at least enough to cover art before showing even roughs.

Sbrem:
When we create custom art for customers, we charge our hourly rate. If they send us a jpeg they "found on the web" we have to investigate whether it's legal to use, or if it's a jpeg from a clip art house where the very clean vectored art can be had for $10.00. If a contract customer needs us to do anything to supplied art, they are charged. We have a lot of very long time customers who know our work and will pay for our services, because they always get pretty much what they want. For the customers that don't want to pay, let them do the footwork, and maybe they will appreciate it. Hell, they'll pay $150 for sneakers made by the millions.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version