Author Topic: Beds?  (Read 4490 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Beds?
« on: April 29, 2014, 04:43:04 PM »
Please do not link to asdf mattress site plz.

My wife and I have been suffering lately with severe lower back pain and we have attributed it to our bed after spending a couple nights out of town in a firmer bed and not being as sore as when we sleep in our bed. I absolutely hate shopping for mattresses but after reading some reviews it looks like the Sleep Number bed or the Memory Foam mattresses are the ticket. Any of us here have one or want to share some experiences?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Beds?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 04:55:47 PM »
We've had a Sleep Number bed for a while now, maybe six or seven years
Ours is a model with single, 2 channel wireless remote, and that particular device has been a weak spot.
We have replaced it twice, once on warranty, and once using a "product or accessory reward" for a referral.

Other than that, yes, it solves my wife's back issues. She also tried the memory foam, but found it a little claustrophobic, or at least really limiting movement because of the indentation one makes in it.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 05:03:17 PM »
I do not have one of these... but i am trying to talk my wife into us building a platform and putting a Futon mattress on there...you can get some nice ones...nice support..I find them wicked comfortable

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 06:12:28 PM »
Sleep Number going on 14 years, two pregnancies, a dog and all three kids when there is a thunder storm.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »
I do not have one of these... but i am trying to talk my wife into us building a platform and putting a Futon mattress on there...you can get some nice ones...nice support..I find them wicked comfortable

I built a platform for out bed. I got tired of hearing the box springs. Just tossing the box springs and using the mattress on top of a solid wood frame makes a big difference. No noise and the mattress is firmer and you don't sink into it as much.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:15:15 PM »
Thinking about a sleep number too! I hear that some Raddison hotel locations have them, I think one in Orlando has them. Would be nice to have a weekend on one before going through the hulabaloo of buying one, just in case, but they seem to have a better approval rating than the temperpedics.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »
I slept on a mattress on the floor for years, slept great, went to a waterbed, got rid of that a year later, platforms since, but I can sleep on anything. My business partner bought the foam a number of years ago, didn't care for it much. A couple of friends have liked the Sleep Number units very much.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 07:30:57 PM »
I have chronic back pain, both from a pretty bad car accident in college (not my fault btw), and because of the manual printing.  When we got a tempurpedic it was life changing.  I still have pain, but it isnt "wake up every day in pain immediately until you take a shower and pop pain meds".

I have slept on a sleep number mattress a bunch of times while traveling during my former job, and it is basically a high tech air mattress.  I didn't like it nearly as much as the foam, but to each their own.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 07:49:09 PM »
The thing that worries me about the foam is heat retention. Im "hot blooded" and can't sleep when it's to warm. How is the foam with heat retention?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 08:11:13 PM »
Tempurpedic is helpful, but i've found working with the right shoes and insoles helps quite a good deal as well. Also it helps that my mother-in-law is a message therapist, specializing in SET therapy.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 09:57:55 PM »
The heat thing either isnt an issue with ours or I am not affected by it.  My brother in law bought one that was topped with some kind of cooling layer made out of who knows what.

I wear crocs every day all day when printing.  I tried insoles and a bunch of random restaurant shoes or whatever, then my aunt, who is a nurse, suggested crocs.  Clean them in the washout booth like anything else, and my feet have never felt better.  I sprang for the nicer version that was still all foam rubber for easy cleaning.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 12:02:36 AM »
FWIW and not mattress related, but a good bit of chronic lower back pain is caused by tight hamstrings.  A daily stretch routine can do wonders for chronic pain.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline sben763

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 12:06:38 AM »
I wear Crocs almost everyday.  They have work crocs, Rx crocs.  I have about 5 different pair and change them around. I'd have more but they only sell 15's in a few styles. Once every week or 2 I may wear tennis shoes. I get people asking me why I wear crocs to work.  I simply ask them why do you wear tennis shoes while not playing tennis!!!!

I have wanted to get a sleep number bed but I hate spending that kind of money that isn't going to be made back. 

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 05:06:18 AM »
I was told sit-ups helps the lower back because the abs will help support the body.
So may be 1 minute of easy situps might help.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 06:24:05 AM »
tennis shoes are way different than sneakers.  Tennis shoes are closer to basketball shoes, just minus the high tops.  They have a tone of support for lateral movement like stopping and starting to run for a ball.

sneakers make for terrible tennis shoes.

why do you wear crocs if you are older than 5? ;)

That being said, if they help your back, they are worth it.  I think too much is placed on a bed when the problem is elsewhere.  Beds are a huge help, but seeing a physical therapist or even a trainer can really help.