Author Topic: Safety kleen, and shop towels --- Questions for Alan802  (Read 6268 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Safety kleen, and shop towels --- Questions for Alan802
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »
I have to cautiously disagree that WB is okay to run down the drain or is better than plastisol.  I think city sewer can easily pickup plastisol solids but wb?.....I'm not chemist or expert on this but is seems like it would have a much better chance of making it back into the water supply. 

Nevertheless, I sometimes stop think about how much thought we put into managing our waste stream and realize that the average household puts out way more and we worse than we ever could. 

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 06:08:38 PM »

Nevertheless, I sometimes stop think about how much thought we put into managing our waste stream and realize that the average household puts out way more and we worse than we ever could.

They may put something down the drain here and there.. we put it down the drain everyday and all day in some cases. It's about volume and PPM with us.

WB is not drain safe and that's the problem with it, people think it is and just dump it all down the drain. You still need to card all the ink out before washup. They have specific WB cleaners that encapsulate the pigments the same way they do with plastisol inks to make them drain friendly. You're still better off filtering your discharge water and using a multi-section solid capturing tank. Clean it twice a yr, cure the solids left behind and
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 07:27:17 PM »

They may put something down the drain here and there.. we put it down the drain everyday and all day in some cases. It's about volume and PPM with us.

WB is not drain safe and that's the problem with it, people think it is and just dump it all down the drain. You still need to card all the ink out before washup. They have specific WB cleaners that encapsulate the pigments the same way they do with plastisol inks to make them drain friendly. You're still better off filtering your discharge water and using a multi-section solid capturing tank. Clean it twice a yr, cure the solids left behind and

Totally agree.  We have a three-stage solids trap made from coarse-finer screen mesh and I'm going to add a cartridge filtration system to that at the new shop to trap the wb out. 

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 05:05:38 AM »
Water base is not drain safe? freak me!
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 05:06:26 AM »
Thanks for all the info everybody.
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 11:25:16 AM »
Here you go!  The filter kit comes from JEGS, and the filter that fits it is the s373 from STP.

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 12:15:07 PM »
Here you go!  The filter kit comes from JEGS, and the filter that fits it is the s373 from STP.
Hey! I got something like this kinda going! I'm having a problem getting the pump working though. I'd like to see some more pics of your setup if you have any

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 12:33:35 PM »
That is about it, the big sink on top drains into the bottom, where the pump forces the fluid back up and through the filter and then to the washing brush.

It's a standard parts washer from ZEP, I just added the better filter to it.  I am not sure what type of a pump would work in the bottom frankly.