Author Topic: New dude  (Read 3310 times)

Offline DanK

New dude
« on: August 11, 2011, 08:10:47 PM »
Just joined.  I have been participating in T Shirt Forums for a few years, and Jamie from Ink Brigade suggested I join here, so here goes.  I am a screen printer from Oakland, California, my shop is called Forward Printing.  www.forwardprinting.com  My email is danh@forwardprinting.com.

I look forward to participating and learning!
Dan Holzer

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: New dude
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »
Welcome!
Do not get scared right away, only few of us bite :)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:22:12 PM »
Hey Dan,

absolutely AWESOME to see you here! When I was getting my MHM about two years ago I talked to you or your partner and received a lot of useful advice (and I did buy couple of the books you guys suggested!).

I have been racking my brain about your circular forward printing logo with 3D ink and foil on top of it and can not for life of me figure out how you did that!!! How do you get the foil on top of 3D print, but also all the way on the sides too?
And just so you know, we have been behaving here and have not been clicking on your google ads!!!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 08:27:03 PM »
Hey Dan, as you may or may not know, I'm an East Bay boy (or more accurately near geezer) as well.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline DanK

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 08:36:44 PM »
Hey folks!

Dennis, thanks for the warning!  Hopefully I offer no reason to bite!

Pierre, that was funny dude, thanks for not clicking, I'll try not to reveal the secrets of what we actually pay for though!!!  When I was registering one of our ads was up.  It looks like the forum may make automatically put one of our image ads in my sig as well?  What's the name of your shop?  You very well could have talked to me, or my partner who is also named Dan, Dan Corcoran.  The circular logo was a bear dude.  I think that thing was on the press alone for like 3-4 revolutions too...  It's clear gloss gel, high density, printed with a different color of foil haphazardly applied between each layer of HD gel ink.  We'd send it around the press, print, flash, foil, print, flash foil, etc.  Each time it got back to station 1 we'd stop the press and go around and adjust the off contact on each active print head, and eventually that's what we ended up with...

Frog.  What's your shop?  Have we talked under some other name than Frog?

Thanks for the responses...
Dan Holzer

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:41:34 PM »
Nope, we have never taolked unless you called for prices, lol!

since 1988, I've run a small shop from my residential property in Walnut Creek mostly catering to the locals, but now with the interweb thing, attracting the PITA jobs that guys like you turn down from all over the Bay Area.  ;D

Offline DanK

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 08:54:36 PM »
Nope, we have never taolked unless you called for prices, lol!

since 1988, I've run a small shop from my residential property in Walnut Creek mostly catering to the locals, but now with the interweb thing, attracting the PITA jobs that guys like you turn down from all over the Bay Area.  ;D

Two things.

I have a referral list email signature that I use when I get under minimum requests.  Do you want to be on it?  If so, email me your info to danh@forwardprinting.com.  Right now I have another shop in Walnut Creek and a shop in Sacramento on it, one local DTG printer, and one local embroiderer. The two shops on the referral list are manual shops.

I work out of an office in Pleasant Hill these days.  When we started, before we moved to Oakland, our shop was in my garage (at a different house) in Pleasant Hill.
Dan Holzer

Offline DanK

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 08:55:48 PM »
Hey Dan,

absolutely AWESOME to see you here! When I was getting my MHM about two years ago I talked to you or your partner and received a lot of useful advice (and I did buy couple of the books you guys suggested!).

I have been racking my brain about your circular forward printing logo with 3D ink and foil on top of it and can not for life of me figure out how you did that!!! How do you get the foil on top of 3D print, but also all the way on the sides too?
And just so you know, we have been behaving here and have not been clicking on your google ads!!!

pierre

Hey Pierre, was that your Hellfire shirt that was up on the Impressions Awards email blast today?  If so, good work in short time!!!
Dan Holzer

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 09:24:23 PM »
Hey Dan,

pierre

Hey Pierre, was that your Hellfire shirt that was up on the Impressions Awards email blast today?  If so, good work in short time!!!

Yup, our shirt (Dot Tone Dan and me. He never really got the credit he deserved. He took care of the art part which was a lot of work. We turned the print on it's head a couple of times before getting it right. Some of the colors had to be changed and it was a lot of work to do it. Dan re-separated it three times before it was right.). What did the email blast say?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 09:46:06 PM »

I have a referral list email signature that I use when I get under minimum requests.  Do you want to be on it?  If so, email me your info to danh@forwardprinting.com.  Right now I have another shop in Walnut Creek and a shop in Sacramento on it, one local DTG printer, and one local embroiderer. The two shops on the referral list are manual shops.

Thanks.
I'll talk to you some time about referrals. Much of the time, I have all the work I need or want, and I do like to keep it local when possible.
You know the drill. When I'm slow, I could use the new work, the rest of the time, leave me alone! I'm getting too old for this pressure!  :'(

Offline DanK

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:44:21 PM »
Pierre, I can't figure out how I linked through to it, I thought it was from an email blast, but I could be wrong, but here's the awards gallery page:

http://www.impressionsmag.com/impressions/about-us/Awards-and-Design-Gall-1208.shtml

Frog, yeah, hit me up, it's cool to have local contacts, and I don't have any idea who you are!
Dan Holzer

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:16:42 PM »

Frog, yeah, hit me up, it's cool to have local contacts, and I don't have any idea who you are!

Well,  unless you needed shirts and/or looked in the Yellow pages for twenty or so years or did an online search for the last five years, you'd have no reason to have ever heard of me.

Offline cattees

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 12:38:53 PM »
Welcome new dude!!  I went on t-shirt forums a few times & didn't care for it too much.  Its too big of a forum for me.  Personally, I like it here and think you will too.  It's alot of fun and everyone's a big help!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Woo Hoo! Welcome Dan. Sean here. Mildly surprised you and Andy haven't crossed
paths yet, he's literally around the corner from Carlos. When I send someone his way
I tell them to say "Sean sent me" so he knows exactly who to berate later.

Lot's to learn here and not so much to wade through.

Offline DanK

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »
Woo Hoo! Welcome Dan. Sean here. Mildly surprised you and Andy haven't crossed
paths yet, he's literally around the corner from Carlos. When I send someone his way
I tell them to say "Sean sent me" so he knows exactly who to berate later.

Hey Sean!  Thanks for the warm welcome man.  Yeah, this is the first I know of Frog!!!
Dan Holzer