Author Topic: Sawtoothing on lower mesh counts...  (Read 2859 times)

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Sawtoothing on lower mesh counts...
« on: March 29, 2014, 07:37:42 PM »
Never had this happen before, but started about a month ago. Same procedures, same everything, don't know where it came from or how to get rid of it.  Only on lower mesh counts, 110, 156.  At a loss.  Anyone?
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Sawtoothing on lower mesh counts...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 08:11:44 PM »
Light source getting weaker? films not as dense?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 08:43:52 PM »
How hard is it to develop?
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 08:46:51 PM »
Sonny, you and I already tried to remedy this with no luck.  I am thinking its the bulb, as I have ruled out or tried almost everything else. Develops with ease, just sawtoothed.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:57:06 PM »
The two obvious things that come to my mind;
no real EOM, and the mesh itself is really interfering with edges, especially diagonals
or
this will sound silly, but have you examined the films to make sure that you aren't actually just resolving something that's there already?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 10:11:50 PM »
frog might be on to something...a clogged nozzle or two can cause edges to lose sharpness.

i actually lowered my eom to below what is recommended and I have much less sawtoothing...on 100's i have a little bit, but it's not noticeable unless it's under a loupe.

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 10:13:31 PM »
Did someone new start coating screens? Or printing/doing art?

Murphy37

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 11:59:31 PM »
Stencil wall is not high and sharp enough, ie not enough EOM and/or the exposure is weak, or the emulsion is a bad batch.

I'd suggest:

Get a quart of new emulsion (same stuff) and coat up a few screens and test along side the current batch of emulsion.

Check the age of your exposure lamp.

Do a thorough step wedge test for each mesh count.

Check your screen room humidity.

Check the films in a loupe. Check old films vs freshly printed ones.

Check your coating technique. If you aren't the one doing the coating, make sure whoever is is doing it consistently.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 08:10:55 AM »
Two questions.
1. Can you see the sawtoothing on the shirt.
2. Is the art on straight.
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 09:29:59 AM »
yes, yes, yes, and yes, to everything.  Got to be the bulb, gonna change it tomorrow.  NOTHING else has changed.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 10:49:15 AM »
As you have indicated, everyone has suggested everything "typical" and you've checked that.

Now look at something that only fluctuates like the weather. Litterally.

Considering this is March, temps and humidity are changing from winter to spring. Rain storms and unusual weather.  Imagine a bowl of jello setting out for a few hours. Its got a lot of water in it so it can hold its shape for a long time. Lear it there long enough, and the water eventually evaporates and it draws in to a shriveled up shape.

Let's say that you typically don't see your emulsion drying up so much (a true 100% dried screen) all too often because (maybe), like many shops you need to get it on press fast.  This might " be typical" and you may normally see and use a 110 mesh that is more swollen with moisture (than it really should be).  Now, here is where one might say "Nawh, that's not it, I never have problems with my screen".  That's more than possible...if you are not doing large order that give you the chance to see breakdown. Many shops use unproperly dried screens in production every day on orders of 24-72-114-288 shirts, so you may never "recognize" there is a slight problem.

Now bounce back to the weather. It might be, that the temp/humidity and overall daily envirobnment of your screen room has shifted to be drawing out (more water) faster, causing you to have a more properly dried mesh. This of course draws in closer to the threads and creates thirst curved shaped edges of your stencil.  You may have always really needed (another slow coat with the full edge...or even a face coat all along, but have never seen the need until now.

Just another guess, but it sounds feasible.  The last poster includeed "humidity" as something to check. I agree. I have recently seen some extreme differences in print quality as a result of humidity alone.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »
Sonny and I actually blamed it on the weather when he came by, so many changes here in GA, 70 degrees one day 25 the next.  It very well could be weather related, we haven't ruled that out.  A rep from Nazdar and Ulano are coming to my shop this week to finally pinpoint this.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 11:15:33 AM »
How about vacuum?
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 11:22:10 AM »
i'm convinced the weather fluctuations killed my exposure unit (broken glass) and knocked out a tub of ink and one or two other things in my shop.  Here in Austin we had the same, freezing one day, 80 the next for about 3 weeks.  So many things act weird when that happens.  I actually had a coated screen of HVP sort of crack/fracture all up one side of my stencil.  Never seen that before, or since.  Was just a weird combination of factors.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 12:14:33 PM »