Author Topic: New screen room under construction  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: New screen room under construction
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 09:43:07 PM »
Don't go out and buy led lights yet but in my research today it appears LED lights emit no UV or IR unless designed to do so. With this being said I will be buying some different styles of bulbs including fluro tube LED lights and set up the coin test when I get back in town. I will try it for two weeks and see what happens. If someone has already tried this please let me know.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 10:58:33 PM »
Brian got any updates?!
LED bulbs for the most part don't hit the right spectrum? I want to put up some new lights in our old embroidery room since we are taking the walls down and making it part of the printing area, but I was waiting for you to do the hard work and any "brain" work- I strain mine enough just trying to keep up with the forum!  ;D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 12:26:53 AM »
That's from a manufacturers website
"Some industry sources claim that LEDs produce no UV radiation. This actually isn’t true. LEDs do produce a small amount of UV, but they emit even less. That’s because the amount that is produced is converted to white light by the phosphors inside the lamp."

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 04:50:09 AM »
Slow down, so far I got a high bay (can) LED insert and a incandescent replacement each in its own makeshift dark rooms directly over 155 mesh screens coated 1/2 with Satti PHU. This stuff exposes pretty quickly so I figured it would be a good starting point. Started the expearment last Monday, would like to keep them in there until April 7th (two weeks) and see what happens. In my mind even if it does expose a small bit I will be able to tell how long the light is safe by how it washes out and go from there. If these bulbs work ill set up another test for a week using fluro tube replacements.

I don't want to rush this, if I'm wrong I could ruin a whole bunch of screens for myself and others. I would rather error on the side of caution.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 08:27:37 AM »
I'm about done building our screen room area and have done the coin on the screen test and with UV blocking light sleeves (400 and 500 nano blocking power) on both sets of lamps in the room (8 t5 5000k bulbs) and i'm still getting light scatter.

I have too change out all the bulbs for LED's and will be ordering new bulbs today.

I'll report back once they arrive and I re-test the room.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 10:56:23 AM »
Maybe someone from an emulsion company would  be kind enough to jump in with some suggestions. I have yellow sleeves on my lamps. White light would usre be nice. I don't know how my screen guy can stand to work in that yellow light for 10 hours a day. 8)
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 11:58:25 AM »
Yes you can get clear fluorescent sleeves from Encapsulite that are UV safe

Model: SO C20 UV Daylight White 400

Baypress sells them and there are others as well.

http://www.baypressservices.com/acatalog/Encapsulite.html

Al
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
Maybe someone from an emulsion company would  be kind enough to jump in with some suggestions. I have yellow sleeves on my lamps. White light would usre be nice. I don't know how my screen guy can stand to work in that yellow light for 10 hours a day. 8)
We use the clear sleeves here at M&R in our screen department with good results. We have a portable meter that we use to monitor the area and it shows no U.V.
Rich Hoffman

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »
Thanks, gentlemen.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »
To be honest not sure where to source them. Someone mentioned some large screen supplyers were starting to Cary them. I read an article a while back about them and someone posted pics of a screen room with them some time ago. I will most likely go that route when we do our screen room. I hate working under the yellow lights.

As long as you stay out of the 260nm-310nm spectrum you should be fine.

Greg has also suggested painting the walls and ceiling with a cream yellow color to absorb the stray UV. It was like a 1205U or something, I got it written down some where.

FWIW, from the spectral analysis I've seen from exposure equipment, most are very active between 300-430 or so--IIRC, the 300 range is UVB and rather nasty for you even in small doses. 

I know you can get 'white' LED's that will crosslink emulsion, although I'd think the 3K ones (that are supposed to look like incandescent bulbs) would be the way to go... probably would not be entirely light-safe, but more so than most of us need.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 06:07:24 PM »
I've got the clear sleeves from UV process that block up to 400 nm and the amber sleeves that block up to 500 nm.

BOTH of them FAILED the coin test on the screen after 4 hours of exposure in the room with the lights turned on.

I'll note that the clear sleeves cooked the screen completely, the amber sleeve was much better but still failed.

The bulbs being used are 4' T5 32watt 5000k daylight bulbs x8

I have UV resistant coated plexiglass 'windows' across the entire screen room, the same coin test PASSED with 4 hours of normal daylight passing through the windows.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:10:54 PM by jsheridan »

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 06:09:24 PM »
dbl post..

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 02:52:19 AM »
Well after two weeks both LED light sources failed the coin test to a point. It appears around eight days the emulsion starts to cross link and by days 10-11 pretty much exposed. Going to see if I can find a UV meter to use and try some more experimenting.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 08:02:45 AM »
we found the same thing with LED's, while they say zero UV, they did expose a screen in about 5 hours.  So we sleeved them and we haven't had any more issues...also, we turn them off when we aren't in there too.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 08:23:31 AM »
Well after two weeks both LED light sources failed the coin test to a point. It appears around eight days the emulsion starts to cross link and by days 10-11 pretty much exposed. Going to see if I can find a UV meter to use and try some more experimenting.

2 weeks, i'd say they passed.

I'm not worried about that many days of exposure as our screen turnover is about 2 days. I'm more worried about ambient light in the room causing problems with fine tonal detail on quick exposing polymer emulsion.