Author Topic: Consulting - reccomendations, what to look for.  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
Consulting - reccomendations, what to look for.
« on: March 14, 2014, 12:24:37 PM »
Printing improvement consultation.
We've visited with Pierre, we're conversing with DotTone. Doing it on our own, learning, doing it for little cost is always considered - BUT.

I'm a sucker for big system improvements, and a few days with the right party could potentially serve to cut months and years off of attempting poorly to improve organically with the time and skills available to us.

I'm talking about printing tech. From design to film to screen to press to garment.

We're ok athletic style screen printers on manual presses. We have some decent screens, shurlocs. We simply are the level we are, we're not yet servicing or looking to service customers who want amazing seps or process prints.
We want to get advice on which variables should be mostly fixed, and what ones to consider changing with what situations.
We want to get advice on how to effectively use our time and efforts to make those similar improvements as well, going forwards.

(I want to be TOLD some things, but everything we're told, I want to be clearly understanding the WHY that is part).

Who have you used? To what end? Who ranks among the best (even if I can't afford them)?
Anyone you think I'd be best to avoid PLEASE PM me, not looking to start any crap.

If you consult, feel free to pimp your wares here.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
Re: Consulting - reccomendations, what to look for.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 01:49:33 PM »
We want to get advice on how to effectively use our time and efforts to make those similar improvements as well, going forwards.

re-reading for clarity: I'm talking about showing us how to set up usable production R&D past a in-house consult - what to test, how to test, how to do basic printing science of hypothesis/test to disprove. I am NOT looking specifically for scheduling, staging, efficiency-based advice. 

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 02:48:11 PM »
Indeed everyone has different needs with regards to consulting. Sonny, like myself, often otice the subjects he mentions as being quite common. This sounds more like testing new products and process that have previously not been done in the past in a methodical manner

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 03:02:04 PM »
Indeed everyone has different needs with regards to consulting. Sonny, like myself, often otice the subjects he mentions as being quite common. This sounds more like testing new products and process that have previously not been done in the past in a methodical manner

correct. i feel a consultation, while it can help create a good footing to start from, will needs impart some basic testing methods to help us to continue improving. I am specifically interested in that part. How is testing/learning best practiced, and can that knowledge be imparted to us easily?

Offline Admiral

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 03:13:26 PM »
Graphic Elephants is probably the best...and expensive.  If you aren't printing automatically even though I wouldn't bother heading there...

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 01:22:51 AM »
Printing improvement consultation.
We've visited with Pierre, we're conversing with DotTone. Doing it on our own, learning, doing it for little cost is always considered - BUT.

I'm a sucker for big system improvements, and a few days with the right party could potentially serve to cut months and years off of attempting poorly to improve organically with the time and skills available to us.

I'm talking about printing tech. From design to film to screen to press to garment.

We're ok athletic style screen printers on manual presses. We have some decent screens, shurlocs. We simply are the level we are, we're not yet servicing or looking to service customers who want amazing seps or process prints.
We want to get advice on which variables should be mostly fixed, and what ones to consider changing with what situations.

(I want to be TOLD some things, but everything we're told, I want to be clearly understanding the WHY that is part).

Who have you used? To what end? Who ranks among the best (even if I can't afford them)?
Anyone you think I'd be best to avoid PLEASE PM me, not looking to start any crap.

If you consult, feel free to pimp your wares here.

few consultants 'out there. off the top of my head:
Mark Coudray
Richard Greaves
Rick Roth
Dan Campbell
Tony Pepitone
Greg Kitson
Lon Winters

These guys have very different approaches and specialize in different types of services. There are many more, but these are the guys I am familiar with and I would or have hired. Call me next week and I'll explain. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
Feel I need to throw my name in the mix as well as a consultant.  As anyone who calls me for answers to printing issues will tell you I ask about their equipment, knowledge level etc.  I then explain the issue they are having listing causes and work through a solution that I have personally used to solve the issue.  If you understand the what you are trying to do, and the why of how you do it, print trouble shooting becomes second nature.  I can help in all aspects of your business.  The people I call for answers I don't know are industry gurus like Joe Clark.
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 11:35:39 AM »
NAME DROPPER!!!  ;D
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 04:36:52 PM »
NAME DROPPER!!!  ;D
Oh and of course the one I call when no one else knows the answer..... Dave Filip 8) 8) 8)
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 05:47:08 PM »
Graphic Elephants is probably the best...and expensive.  If you aren't printing automatically even though I wouldn't bother heading there...
I agree graphic elephants is probably your best bet.: Ask for Lon Winters.
Rich Hoffman

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 08:07:13 PM »
Lon Winters describing his consultation packages.
NBM Printwear Show: Catspit Interviews Lon Winters Pro Screen Printer