Author Topic: Need advise Numbering System  (Read 4843 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Need advise Numbering System
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:09:03 AM »
This is a doozie. We landed the largest order in our history. Here is the details. Minimum 5k at a time minimum 100k a year. Ok sounds good so far BUT here is where it gets crazy. Every shirt gets a single color and number on front. Numbers go up to 3 digits, 500 max.

Shirts come in and we have to print them all same image then list of break down of camps is provided, 1 thru what ever. We have to number them then send to whatever sport camp it goes to in the country. Nice thing is they are all 100% poly shirts so easy to print on with out flash.

Our problem is what is the best method for numbering? Heat pressing is out of the question at that volume. We do not have a numbering press. Is the number stencils practical? Or buy an actual numbering system? Our manual is side clamped which means an attachment probably will not work.

Labor is a non issue, hiring more folks is happening anyways and we have a couple guys that would love a mindless job like this all day long.

If buying an actual numbering system what would you recommend? Would much prefer something long and narrow over a carousel due to space constraints.
"No man is an island"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Need advise Numbering System
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 09:20:23 AM »
My friends Scott and Brannon have a newer Brown numbering press f/$2,500 OBO
405-583-4903 (ATL)

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »
I have an older brown numbering press with update kit and several sets of screens for $1500 OBO as Is where is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
Same color ink?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 09:47:13 AM »
Only black prints and white.

Carousel is out of the question since we do not have space for it.
"No man is an island"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 10:03:33 AM »
What about an inline?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 10:05:12 AM »
What about an inline?

That would be ideal but our press is side clamped, if we could convert one of the heads to rear clamp that would be nice. Still want to hear if people like the stencils if they are practical or to much of a pain to deal with.
"No man is an island"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »
An inline is a separate press all on its own. Designated numbering system.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »
I think Tony was talking about these-http:// [url]http://www.inlinetechnologies.com/default.aspx?ID=9[ /URL]
Which is actually what u would recommend also if it is only going to be 2 ink colors. You could have it set up with a 1 color top screen and then another 1 color screen that usually is used for 2 color numbers. It would work sweet! There are also some used ones on digitsmith.

I had one of them but my beef was that it took a while to change screen ink colors. So I always said they would be a great machine is you had say 5 of them. A red one, black one, white one, gold one and one that changes. But just 1 would be perfect for your situation!!!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »
For that volume I would have a set of black screens and one for white

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 10:45:56 AM »
what about 3 or 4 heat presses and screened numbers from stahls? I know we can crank with those when we have to. I bet you can do them just as fast if set up properly. We looked into the paper stencils but it looked too messy, we ended up with the number kits from stahls...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Croft

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »
why would ironing be out of the question, I have no exp. on number presses but from the videos i have seen they don't seem that quick also can they do 3 digit numbers?,
  2 irons and 2 low wage people should be able to crank out a lot of shirts a day , I would expect at least 500 a day per press here.
Since the numbers are only black and white they should go really quick,
  I only say this because my kids play soccer and all of there jersey have ironed numbers on them and they come from a very large supplier that only does team wear , and I'm sure some of the leagues by thousands of shirts at a time

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 11:03:29 AM »
why would ironing be out of the question, I have no exp. on number presses but from the videos i have seen they don't seem that quick also can they do 3 digit numbers?,
  2 irons and 2 low wage people should be able to crank out a lot of shirts a day , I would expect at least 500 a day per press here.
Since the numbers are only black and white they should go really quick,
  I only say this because my kids play soccer and all of there jersey have ironed numbers on them and they come from a very large supplier that only does team wear , and I'm sure some of the leagues by thousands of shirts at a time

Several factors for not using a heat press or multiple ones. POWER is the biggest one, we are already near maxed out on our 200 amps, no way we could plop in a couple more heat presses. Our best bet is manual printing the numbers and the oven would already be on and running for our regular jobs.

Another factor is the samples we have on hand have printed numbers that match the logo print exactly, so we would prefer to stick with that way.

I am liking the inline press linked above, looks practical and some what idiot proof, I really wanted to hear of the stencils were good or bad.

"No man is an island"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 11:06:20 AM »
Heres what Iconsider to be the underlying question..........is this program already been accepted with pricing submitted before labor/raw materials being costed out? Not a dig at Mike however if it has you could be in trouble. It took me two days to come up with costing on a similar program consiisting of printing, 2-sided foiling, and inside neck labeling. Time studies on six air operated transfer machines in a dedicated are that I just built but it was worth it. BTW Stahls #s=expensive