Author Topic: Need advise Numbering System  (Read 4811 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Need advise Numbering System
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 11:06:36 AM »
why would ironing be out of the question, I have no exp. on number presses but from the videos i have seen they don't seem that quick also can they do 3 digit numbers?,
  2 irons and 2 low wage people should be able to crank out a lot of shirts a day , I would expect at least 500 a day per press here.
Since the numbers are only black and white they should go really quick,
  I only say this because my kids play soccer and all of there jersey have ironed numbers on them and they come from a very large supplier that only does team wear , and I'm sure some of the leagues by thousands of shirts at a time

Total cost to print them would be less on a Inline numbering machine. We did 3 digit numbers, it was not too tricky but did provide a bit more careful placement than regular 2 digit numbers. Multiple heat presses would be a waste(electricity), get a two station auto heat press(I have one to sell  ::) ) would maybe make sense but that is if you printed the transfers yourself. But at that point you are back to printing again and might as well do it on a Inline press. ESPECIALLY since it is only 2 colors and black is one of them. I think I forgot to mention it.... LUCKY DOG!!!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 11:16:25 AM »
With that many pcs and if it's a continuous job that is never ending I would be going auto LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p32uFvax_cw

Load up your numbers and the machine automatically sends you the screens, etc.... Does all the thinking for you
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 11:19:57 AM »
I would not even think to direct print all those..

been there done that and let me tell you, printing numbers sucks no matter how you do it.

buy a heat press or two from fleabay, a roland cutter and buy your vinyl and cad cut it all yourself.

In the end.. the time you save by pressing it all will pay for the cost to acquire the tools, so that next time, you're a slicing and dicing pressing machine.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 11:21:34 AM »
Cool but he couldn't fit that in his shop. In addition I would build an amortition % to my pricing for at least part of the considerable money for at least some of the equipment. If the program goes away (as they often do) you have a nice dust collector. Although its possible to convert it into a std manual it would be a pricey one.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 11:23:17 AM »
I don't see how running 3 or 4 heat presses plus the stahls numbers would be expensive, build it into the job. it costs what it costs...unless you bid the job before having a method/solution then that's a different problem. BUT you said you can't run that many due to power issues, so that rules that out. We don't give a price until we know how we are going to produce the job. costs me 2.00 per number from stahls, another buck or two to put it on with juice and labor, fine - I'll just charge what I need to make money...

any room to sub it out? make coin on the other printing?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 11:25:23 AM »
Heres what Iconsider to be the underlying question..........is this program already been accepted with pricing submitted before labor/raw materials being costed out? Not a dig at Mike however if it has you could be in trouble. It took me two days to come up with costing on a similar program consiisting of printing, 2-sided foiling, and inside neck labeling. Time studies on six air operated transfer machines in a dedicated are that I just built but it was worth it. BTW Stahls #s=expensive

We committed to the logo printing already, that part is easy to estimate. The numbering we still need to come up with costs and labor then submit a quote. If it is out of our league then the shirts will be sent to another for numbering which is how they have done it for several years. Thing is they wish to have it all done in house by someone and save some money this way. I am confident once we nail down what process we will use and how the labor will be part of that system we can then quote correctly, I am also confident our quote even if high would still out weigh the cost of having two separate manufacturers touch the job and all the extra shipping included.

"No man is an island"

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »
Does anyone have a ballpark price on the inline new only?

Sorry but we are a lot like Brandt new only is the way to go for us.
"No man is an island"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 11:28:29 AM »
Good Job Mike. I knew you were going about in the right way

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »
On those quantities it might make sense to buy a set of statics and make single digits on one side of the screen and on the flip side put the same number as if it's the first number and beside it the second digit then knock them out on the auto.  Hope that makes sense. 

We do quite a bit of team stuff but not at the quantities that you've landed (congrats by the way) and we had a decent numbering press/attachment for the Vastex manual press and it didn't take long to abandon that press and start heat pressing all of our numbers.  We have two heat presses and we buy our numbers from Transfer Express and make sure you get the poly numbers or you could go with a "vinyl" type product from Dalco that will not bleed on the black jerseys which sometimes can be suspect bleeders.  On most of the performance wear jerseys we have started using the Dalco numbers instead of the Transfer Express screen printed numbers due to bleed issues.  Our biggest numbering job was 600 pieces last year and we heat pressed instead of direct printed. 

I did some time testing and on a typical team job of 15 jerseys, dark colors, it took 30-45 minutes to do them on our numbering press and about 15-20 minutes to do the same job on our heat press.  Light colored garments not requiring a flash the times were very close but we had lesser quality on the direct prints along with complete misprints happening more often.  You do have to be somewhat careful with the heat pressed numbers so that you don't put the wrong number on the wrong side but the Dalco numbers are easier than the screen printed transfers in that regard.  There is no doubt in my mind that on the dark garments that heat pressing them will be significantly faster than directly printing.  Now as to what will cost less, that is up to you and your shop to figure all of that out :).  But for us I ditched the direct printing numbers after a year or so of doing it then trying the heat press method.  Your mileage may vary but I really think heat pressing will be better overall, regardless of shop. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 11:36:42 AM »
The Brown Slider could do this in a 2'x4' footprint. I would buy two. Looks pretty affordable. Won't chew up other auto$$$$

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 11:37:24 AM »
It seems that Inkman will lose the advantage that many big-house uniform type shops get;
repeats! They may print 500 #1's, and then 500 #2's, etc.
Going all the way up to 500 really complicates a generally relatively standard process.

I was going to ask if there would be enough consistency in sizes to pre-print the numbers to be used in future runs, but what a nightmare to store and catalog thousands of different sized shirts with 500 different numbers.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 11:42:05 AM »
Heres what Iconsider to be the underlying question..........is this program already been accepted with pricing submitted before labor/raw materials being costed out? Not a dig at Mike however if it has you could be in trouble. It took me two days to come up with costing on a similar program consiisting of printing, 2-sided foiling, and inside neck labeling. Time studies on six air operated transfer machines in a dedicated are that I just built but it was worth it. BTW Stahls #s=expensive

We committed to the logo printing already, that part is easy to estimate. The numbering we still need to come up with costs and labor then submit a quote. If it is out of our league then the shirts will be sent to another for numbering which is how they have done it for several years. Thing is they wish to have it all done in house by someone and save some money this way. I am confident once we nail down what process we will use and how the labor will be part of that system we can then quote correctly, I am also confident our quote even if high would still out weigh the cost of having two separate manufacturers touch the job and all the extra shipping included.

I can't remember what ours costed when we got it. But I DO remember the guy wanted to wheel and deal on his presses he brings to trade shows.... He even came to the smaller regional ones, may save you some coin!
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 11:46:15 AM »
On those quantities it might make sense to buy a set of statics and make single digits on one side of the screen and on the flip side put the same number as if it's the first number and beside it the second digit then knock them out on the auto.  Hope that makes sense. 

We do quite a bit of team stuff but not at the quantities that you've landed (congrats by the way) and we had a decent numbering press/attachment for the Vastex manual press and it didn't take long to abandon that press and start heat pressing all of our numbers.  We have two heat presses and we buy our numbers from Transfer Express and make sure you get the poly numbers or you could go with a "vinyl" type product from Dalco that will not bleed on the black jerseys which sometimes can be suspect bleeders.  On most of the performance wear jerseys we have started using the Dalco numbers instead of the Transfer Express screen printed numbers due to bleed issues.  Our biggest numbering job was 600 pieces last year and we heat pressed instead of direct printed. 

I did some time testing and on a typical team job of 15 jerseys, dark colors, it took 30-45 minutes to do them on our numbering press and about 15-20 minutes to do the same job on our heat press.  Light colored garments not requiring a flash the times were very close but we had lesser quality on the direct prints along with complete misprints happening more often.  You do have to be somewhat careful with the heat pressed numbers so that you don't put the wrong number on the wrong side but the Dalco numbers are easier than the screen printed transfers in that regard.  There is no doubt in my mind that on the dark garments that heat pressing them will be significantly faster than directly printing.  Now as to what will cost less, that is up to you and your shop to figure all of that out :).  But for us I ditched the direct printing numbers after a year or so of doing it then trying the heat press method.  Your mileage may vary but I really think heat pressing will be better overall, regardless of shop.

Thats a lot to chew on Alan thanks (kind of) :(

I guess I should look closer at auto heat presses and power requirements. The Abacus looks like that cats meow but completely out of the question for us. Wow that thing is sweet!

The program is consistent and has been for years, basically it is for FB camps all across the country and used for colleges for recruiting purposes. It is a sweet job that could be the final push to moving into a larger building finally!

One concern I do have with the inline system is wet ink on wet ink, does the bottom of the screen have to be wiped after each print or worse flash every number?

"No man is an island"

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 01:05:06 PM »

One concern I do have with the inline system is wet ink on wet ink, does the bottom of the screen have to be wiped after each print or worse flash every number?

No it usually is good to go, it is in the printing technique.

The auto heat press I have sitting in the basement is 110V 20A if I remember correctly..... But does require air.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 02:09:33 PM »
Air heat seal critical for large orders