Author Topic: Great, thanks for the vandalism...  (Read 3301 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Great, thanks for the vandalism...
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:44:22 AM »
So in our neighborhood over the weekend we had some kids that thought it would be fun to trench yards, bash mailboxes and break into cars.  Thankfully nothing happened to us...at home.  I got into work and my work van had a busted side window and our POS GPS was gone.  $168 to replace the window and several phone calls to see who could even get one.  Not what I wanted to spend my morning doing.

Binswanger glass is 1 street up and they had a couple vehicles get broken into as well.  They are the ones doing the glass for me.

On a brighter note, they did life some fingerprints that weren't mine.  Hopefully they will match somebody in the system and they'll get busted.  I don't even care about the GPS to be honest, it's the hassle of cleaning this up.

Now of for the funny part.  The reason the GPS was in the van was because my wife needed it to find the glass company that I ordered a new sheet of glass from for our exposure unit.  Irony.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
Re: Great, thanks for the vandalism...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »
GPS's are a hot item for theft. Ironically, GPS can't be used to locate a stolen GPS, can they?
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:48:31 AM »
the funny thing is...the battery is so far gone, it won't even turn on unless it is plugged in.

I seriously bought it 3 years ago for $100.  It probably has a street value of $7.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 11:58:51 AM »

I seriously bought it 3 years ago for $100.  It probably has a street value of $7.

That's why they have to break into so many vehicles.

When my son was high school age, egging of cars was common.
Interestingly, it slowed down significantly when I pointed out that virtually every place on the car's finish that took a direct hit, there were hundreds of tiny chips through the paint, forming concentric circles where the increasing diameter of the shell made contact as it broke.
Six well-placed throws can literally cause need for a complete re-paint! ($3000 is not unheard of)

To make matters worse, one of the local supermarkets always had great deals on 30 packs!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 12:01:12 PM »
We got egged while driving one night, it does make neat pattern in the paint.  The worst part is letting the paint sit with the egg on it.

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »
one late night heading out of town to I-4 doing about 65 i saw something flash in front of me and a split second later the B pillar of my truck got hit by something. My window was down and something wet was all over me and it smelled of oranges. My truck took 3 hits in all, im just glad it didnt hit me in the head, it would have knocked me out judging by the dent it left in my door pillar.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 05:35:11 PM »
the funny thing is...the battery is so far gone, it won't even turn on unless it is plugged in.

They don't care what it's worth. They'll steal anything. They'll take the pennies out of your ashtray. I had my Jeep window cut, they took a bunch of music CDs I'd burned, pennies, anything not nailed down. The only thing of real value was a multimeter and a couple of wiring tools, altogether worth about $20. Cost me $75 to replace the soft window. Bastards could have at least unzipped the old one. They'd have gotten in just as easily.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 05:53:27 PM »
Back in the day when I was still had some athlete in me a group of kids standing on a corner threw a butt load of water balloons at our van. My wife and young daughter were in the vehicle. It scared the sh!t out of us. Without even thinking I slammed on the brakes, slammed  it in park and bailed out after them on a dead run.  I chased them over a fence and across a play ground. I nabbed one of them by the shirt collar and drug his ass to a nearby house where I saw a man watering. I asked him to call the police and I informed the young man that he need to start hanging with slower friends just as I handed him over the officer. My wife asked me if the thought of getting shot or stabbed crossed my mind. Never crossed my mind.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 08:14:18 PM »
... My wife asked me if the thought of getting shot or stabbed crossed my mind. Never crossed my mind.
In a near perfect world, thugs would wonder if THEY will get shot or stabbed by the "victim".
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »
My wife asked me if the thought of getting shot or stabbed crossed my mind. Never crossed my mind.

In Oklahoma?  No way!
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 10:26:13 PM »
Recently someone detonated a pipe bomb in our parking lot we found the fragments and pipe the next day, cops didnt seem all that interested.

We had our steel dock plate stolen right out from under our noses during a work day.

Many years ago we were robbed by gun point, needless to say they did not get much.

Old place was broken into several times.

Handful of murders has happened on our street over time worst one was a woman working by herself in a back room raped and murdered. The rest were mostly biker related killings.

Our neighborhood can be fun at times!
"No man is an island"

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 12:08:36 AM »
Wow..... Hard to follow that Inkman  ???

I had to go to the Ritz Carlton in Atlanta a number of years ago, for a training seminar on wide format printers (Colorspan at the time, now HP).

I told my boss at the time it was pointless, we hadn’t sold one in over a year, and it was really more for the business owners (people that could actually make a decision)

Either way, Scott and I went.... After 3 hours of my life was wasted listening to a sales pitch meant for business OWNERS...

I walk out of the F'N Ritz to find my passenger window smashed and my $1,300.00 laptop missing...  >:(

So I do what I feel most folks would do....  I go through the list of curse words that I could think of at the time, find something to kick, and call the cops... ;D

Brad mentioned they pulled some prints off of his van... I would have been happy with that... but when another hour passes and the cop rolls up on a bike (without a motor) I knew I had only wasted another hour of my life, and I went home paid to fix the window and bought another F'N laptop.... :(
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 12:17:29 AM »
Ink, we've had a 2 trailers stolen off our lot, and gunshots from the house in front of us one Christmas Eve.  If it was as bad as where you are, I'd move...towns maybe.

I thought things were bad around the office, usually it's a homeless looking guy walking down the road peeing.  Or the armed robbery of a brinks truck and the guys fled to the university across the street.

Actually, I have to be thankful, it hasn't been too bad by us.  The cops have stepped it up since the college is right there.  The college depends on being in a safe neighborhood...if that goes, the college is in real trouble...of course I guess people still go to Georgia Tech.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
Brad you would be surprised our town is quite safe and pretty much the safest in central Connecticut. But crap still happens. We are in an industrial neighborhood and it is amazing what some people rent the units for, lots of drug busts and such. The biker thing has a reason since there is a large presence of the HA in this town and there was a war with another gang a while back most of it was fought in our town not in the cities.
"No man is an island"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 05:56:02 AM »
If you think that's bad try living on St. Thomas USVI. There's trouble in paradise! They do creative stuff like throw acid on your face. Also can do some interesting stuff with machetes. Fifty-six murders last year I believe.