Author Topic: Question about other autos..  (Read 3249 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Question about other autos..
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 08:24:38 PM »
I would much rather change 64 linear bearings on the screen holders then the center shaft bearing on the press.

Center shaft huge deal to change.  Mainly after Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrdubyabbbbbbbbbbbbe stands on center of press.  ;)
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 08:51:39 PM »
For those who've never seen a Centurian in action, here is what they look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Reqfxfz13bI

Yeah. Total beasts.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »

Yeah. Total beasts.

no crap! what a huge beast!

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »

Yeah. Total beasts.

no crap! what a huge beast!

First auto I worked with was a Centurian 8/10. It was about the size of a 16 color Formula press. Held registration about as tight as an infant's grip.

:o
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 10:55:41 PM »
It might be worth noting that in graphics printing, the head always moves. Some presses have moving plattens, like inline presses, 3/4 autos and cylinder presses, but the head moves in some form or fashion.

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 11:09:33 PM »
As for registration. I have heard some people say that the center lift is what causes more registration problems because of radial deflection. I'm sure there's somebody on here that understands and can explain this whole lot better than me.

Murphy37

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 10:09:56 AM »
Both methods have their place and at this point I'd choose a press based on it's printing features, print head controls, main control panel functions first and then move on to other things like how does the screen come into contact with the substrate.  The parts associated with the heads moving up and down should outlast most every other part of the press.  The center shaft assembly will certainly outlast most every other moving part or component of a press as well so I wouldn't worry too much about the longevity and reliability of those two methods. Maybe it's common to wear out the center shaft on a round press and it's just not talked about very often?  I personally haven't heard of too many instances of that happening and I try to keep an open ear out for that sort of thing.   

If a sportsman had all the same features it does now except the screens moved up/down and a Ch 3 had everything it does now except the pallets moved up and down, would anyone choose the sportsman if money wasn't a concern? 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »
We currently run a weird offshoot of a centurian, and i prefer the way it runs much more than the little gauntlet we have.

We've spent alot of time (i.e. money), on our Xpress, and it holds registration like a champ. From what i understand, as many of you have pointed out as well, these machines are beasts, but like any auto, if they are not cared for, the quality deteriorates.

With that being said, I'd 100% pay the extra money to have a press that the heads go down, instead of the tables being set up.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 10:51:57 AM »
I love the central off contact on my sportsman. That being said I do some things that having the ability to easily adjusting the individual heads off contact would be nice ( especially if I can cut and paste that from the control panel ). That's a good question if they cost the same what would you pick? ::) for me that's still a wait and see how parts last.

Murphy37