Author Topic: Good, affordable racks  (Read 3546 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Good, affordable racks
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
haha...i knew as soon as I saw the photo that someone would notice it.

There are a bunch of options for those angled metal pieces.  Look for the cheapest one that is 1.5"x2".  The ones I got didn't have a price tag on the shelf, so I had to take them up to do a price check, but they were basically the smallest and cheapest option in that section.  If you want to spend a few dollars more per 10 ft piece, they had one that is 2" x 2" that was about twice as thick that I was tempted to get instead, but I figured they don't need to do anything but hold up a single screen so I cheaped out :D  Make sure you have a fine grinding wheel for your angle grinder.  I tried a not so fine one at first with interesting results...

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 09:00:27 AM »
I get the used baker racks $65-$100 each, cut down the center with a skill saw, set to proper width. Insert 3/4" copper tubing and pop rivet or cut wood to fit inside and run a few self drilling screws in.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 09:22:48 AM »

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 01:56:52 PM »
Actually, this one seemed as the best deal
http://www.peachsuite.com/745870/sheet-pan-rack-69h-heavy-duty-20-pan-capacity-3-runner-spacing-4-5-swivel-rubber-casters-alrk-20bk.html
It has the brakes on the front wheels.

Ordered one, will let you know how it looks when it comes in.

Offline dsh

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 05:55:41 PM »
Putting aluminum and other metals together isn't always a good idea.  The aluminum will oxidize.  This is a link about the issue.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080707185008AA4YMaJ

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 06:27:39 PM »
Its called galvanic corrosion. You need an electrolyte (water, acid, etc) and oxygen (can be in the electrolyte) for it occur. Being that the racks are not exposed to constant water, kept in an environment around 30% humidity it will be decades before any corrosion will occur in this situation. If it was an issue I could isolate the two or suppress the problem with a low voltage (mV) dc current. 

Its the location of the materials on the "Noble" scale shows which will react. Gold being the highest (cathode), Zinc the lowest (anode). The decay will occur on the one with the lower number as the current flows from the less noble to the higher on taking molecules with it. The principle is how a battery works and how we protect all types of metals in harsh environments.