Author Topic: How many extra shirts for 10K race  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Phenex

• Verified/Junior
How many extra shirts for 10K race
« on: February 22, 2014, 12:16:47 PM »
Hi All,

This is my first post here on the forum.  I have a customer who is organizing/running their first 10K race. It will be for a charitable cause. They expect between 250 and 300 runners all of whom will get shirts. That's the easy part.

As we discussed details, I asked how many shirts they wanted for spectators. They did not have an answer as this is their first as organizer. I didn't have a suggestion either other than asking you folks on the forum.

So my question is, how many shirts should I suggest they order assuming 300 runners? Even a rough % would be helpful. Also, how would you split the sizes?

Thanks to all who reply in advance.

John

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: How many extra shirts for 10K race
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 12:41:19 PM »
Split sizes on a bell curve with the most Larges and fewer of each smaller and larger size.  This will vary somewhat on your demographic, and you may want include youth sizes as well depending on the people will be attending.  If it is a community fundraiser walk/run type event you may skew larger on the sizes and include more youth, while more of a serious runners event will skew smaller and include fewer youth.

I can't tell you what to over order for spectators.  I have seen events with none for anyone but the paying runners, and different shirts for spectators, or the same shirt.  Your design will also dictate it's popularity with spectators.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 12:58:44 PM »
The bottom line for me is to never, ever suggest sizes or quantities, but rather leave that up to them, generally relying on past numbers.
Since no past numbers are available, perhaps they can do a little research with other race organizers of similar events.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 02:42:04 PM »
The bottom line for me is to never, ever suggest sizes or quantities, but rather leave that up to them
Best advise

Plus you can print a few more after the event. Just make sure you tell them they
need the reorder sizes the first business day after the race.

Offline Phenex

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 10:38:40 AM »
Thanks everyone.

While I agree I don't like to give advice on quantity as it will be held against me later,  (It's always too high or too low.)  they did ask for advice.    I asked them about previous race info, and they surprisingly can't get any from the previous run which was over 2 years ago.

I also advised them to google race organization and try and contact some of the other race organizers to get their input.

I also like the idea of skewing shirts to larger sizes.  This is going to be a more community oriented 10K.

Thanks again,

John

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 11:32:07 AM »
Another option, especially if you can afford to keep the screens set up is to make a minimal amount, and have them sell vouchers, or pre-paid orders which can be filled within a few days. Gary touched upon this as well, to print fill-ins.

I used to print shirts for my son's local elementary school's annual carnival, and they (we) could never guess accurately, the right amount. So, I set up on Friday, running a half dozen or so of each size, with the understanding that the bulk of the order would be as pre-orders run Monday, and delivered to school on Tuesday. The few shirts sold (and worn, and seen) also helped spark interest.

Besides transfers applied as needed, this was the best solution to everyone wanting a shirt getting one, but the organization not getting stuck with any either, sometimes, an important factor.

Distribution, in your case, is not quite as simple, but this is still an option.

I have to emphasize as well, especially for the right-sized events, that transfers applied as needed, can be a wonderful compromise to minimize waste when quantities needed can easily be mis-judged. The money wasted on unsold transfers can be far less than complete shirts.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:35:02 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:41:46 AM »
It's been our experience the first year or two the actual numbers are disappointing to the organizers. The first year they may get 300 people saying we will attend but only have 100 or so show up for the event. Weather will play a huge roll especially first few years, you haven't built the hard core we will attend no matter what attendees.

Another way around this is to not date the shirts, print more then expected and use the unclaimed ones at a future event.

Generally speaking spectator shirts go with larger sizes.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 11:48:59 AM »
I should have mentioned transfers!  I LOVE transfers and use them often for stuff like this.  If the design is simple enough and small enough they can be a fantastic option that will save a lot of time and a lot of waste, both saving  your client money and making it more profitable in the end.  If you actually have the setup for it, you could even press on demand at the event, and if you were inclined and with your clients approval you could potentially sell your own designs as well.  Definitely another good way to go...

Offline Scobey Peterman

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 03:13:07 PM »
We print about 2 to 3 per main sizes ordered.

It is great if they come back and only need a few.
Quality over Quantity