Author Topic: wooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't try this at home kids!  (Read 4247 times)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
wooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't try this at home kids!
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:25:12 AM »
Man, I came in this morning to find out one of our flashes a Reno was left on all night. That means, it was on from 8am yesterday till 8am this morning. Very thankful the pallets were out of the way and it regulated itself all night. I know M&R has the claim to fame that their gear runs 24/7 in shops, but it's a lil scary to think that thing was on 1000 degrees by itself all night. Now I don't want to push it, so turning it off for a few hours and sub it out with another roll up flash. Testament to the gear though. When I touched the house and checked it out, sniff test and all, no difference than if I had just turned it on.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
Re: wooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't try this at home kids!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 10:40:16 AM »
This happened in our shop a couple times. In my attempt to idiot proof everything (even from my own idiocy), I moved all the flashes and heat presses onto separate circuit breakers which all get shut off as part of the end of day routine.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 10:47:40 AM »
It runs all by itself 8 hours a day 5 days a week 220 day a year at 1000 degrees

why would that be any different overnight..

To put this into perspective.. the last shop I was at.. ran the big dryer and a few machines 24/7 for 3 months.. the dryer nor the flash units had their power shut of for 3 months.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »
whaaaaaaat really John, three months? WOW talk about some serious power bill huh lol.  I guess the scary part was not being here and knowing it was on all night.

king, good idea with the breaker!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 11:05:43 AM »
My guys left both IR flashes on on one of the presses over Thanksgiving. 48 hrs straight.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:06:25 AM »
oops  96 hrs!

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:14:03 AM »

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 12:03:21 PM »
I'm not a licensed electrician, but:

If you're going to use your breakers as switches that get turned off every night/morning, make sure you get SWD or HID rated breakers, not the typical ones that you put in a panel.

The contacts are heavier duty and are rated at a higher power factor.  the HID ones are rated for high intensity lighting circuits which have an initial draw higher than the rating of the breaker.  You might want to consider these if the heat presses/dryers turn on immediately when flipping the breaker.

As always, I'd get the recommendation of a professional electrician licensed in your area.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 12:20:19 PM »
Good equipment is all I got to say about that, we left the heat press on over night once and it's still kicking today.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 01:12:20 PM »
Really not too shocking... the most stressful time on equipment is the initial warm up.  Not to say that leaving it on won't reduce the useful life, but it won't hurt it as much as cycling it on and off a bunch

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline Admiral

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 04:00:34 PM »
This happened in our shop a couple times. In my attempt to idiot proof everything (even from my own idiocy), I moved all the flashes and heat presses onto separate circuit breakers which all get shut off as part of the end of day routine.

Not a bad way to keep the place safe...

We have end of the day checklists for certain workers to make sure the stuff gets done.  Then the person who closes the shop checks things are off as well.

More importantly our flashes can't stay on over things to burn the place down anymore anyway - we use a rotating IR on the manual and quartz flashes for the autos.  With our old Reno flash one platen was burned from an employee leaving it on (and a platen under it) which was noticed 3-4 hours later with a lot of smoke in the back and burnt rubber top...not fun.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »

Not a bad way to keep the place safe...

We have end of the day checklists for certain workers to make sure the stuff gets done.  Then the person who closes the shop checks things are off as well.

More importantly our flashes can't stay on over things to burn the place down anymore anyway - we use a rotating IR on the manual and quartz flashes for the autos.  With our old Reno flash one platen was burned from an employee leaving it on (and a platen under it) which was noticed 3-4 hours later with a lot of smoke in the back and burnt rubber top...not fun.

Yeah I'm to blame for leaving the Reno on last night. I wanted to do a set up to have ready for first thing in the morning, closed up on my own and even when I got home, thought man, did I turn it off. Which normally OCD wouldn't allow me to miss that, but dam if I didn't leave it on. Another good reason to get ready to switch over to all quartz. Kinda hate the IR flashing anyway, just my personal opinion.

Isn't that burnt pallet aweful!!!!!! Had that happen a few times, real nasty!!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 04:31:22 PM »
Yes mike.. 3 months they ran like that  :o

I'm not a licensed electrician, but:

If you're going to use your breakers as switches that get turned off every night/morning, make sure you get SWD or HID rated breakers, not the typical ones that you put in a panel.

I'll echo this.. not a good idea to use breakers as 'switches'. Each time you 'switch' it, you lessen the contact points and over time that wear will lessen the breakers load rating.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Northland

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »
I've got my Ipod docking station right next to the receptacle for the IR flash.
When I'm done for the day, shutting off the music and the flash is always a one-two punch.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 12:08:32 AM »
I still do a walk around each press when I leave, even though I'm the pre-press guy now. The press ops also do a careful walk around before they go.

Presses off, flashes off and compressor off and drained every day. Also the pressure washer is turned off, and the hose valve shut off and the hoses relieved of any pressure. (failed water line or hose in shop = BAD. Long story but I've seen it first hand)
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)