Author Topic: TAS International News and Opinions  (Read 2407 times)

Offline colintas

• Verified/Junior
TAS International News and Opinions
« on: February 09, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »
Hi everyone.

Recently I received an email from a US customer enquiring about when TAS would be implementing items such as pneumatic squeegee and flood bar clamps, etc and another email asking if we were ever considering manufacturing our equipment in lower cost areas and therefore offering cheaper equipment. These are very valid questions and almost linked in a way, so I would like to use this forum as a means of explaining matters such as this from our own perspective.

When people speak of TAS, we are humbled and thankful that the two words most associated with our company are quality and reliability. To fully understand our company ethics, you must also consider the location in which all our machines are manufactured. Everything is machined and manufactured within our factory in Melbourne, Australia. Because of our proximity to Asia, it would, of course, prove a much cheaper option for us to manufacture in a lower cost area. However in doing so this would result in a loss of control over assembly and machining processes and although it may provide short terms financial benefits, it could potentially affect the longevity and integrity of our machinery, something that we will never consider. There is also the notion of ‘cost of ownership’ In other words, for example if there is a $5,000.00 difference in the initial price of the machine due to it being manufactured in a lower labor cost area, but because of this it becomes less reliable, when you consider the cost in downtime to perform repairs, coupled with the cost of spare parts, labor,  etc, and then consider machines are built to last in excess of 20 years, the initial difference in price becomes negligible.

TAS have been supplying screen printing machinery to a global market for well over 30 years, from a large, isolated country in the Southern Ocean. Without this absolute commitment to reliability, the company would have floundered many years ago and providing anything less than one of the industries most respected products would have proved to be commercial suicide. You should all be comforted to learn that we will never compromise on such things and a conversation with any of our very long established customers would prove testament to this.

Regarding pneumatic squeegee clamps, etc, I guess it’s a case of some things are more important to some people than others. I appreciate that there will be those of you who consider these items as time saving and convenient and for those of you that would insist on such items when making a purchasing decision, we will (and have) make them available on our machines. However, it could be equally argued that features such as these could prove potentially unreliable (cylinders failing, air hoses wearing, etc) so I guess it is a balance between potential gain vs potential unreliability, but as I previously mentioned, I do acknowledge that these points are very valid for a certain number of you and we will, upon request, supply your machine with pneumatic clamping.

I trust the above has given you a little insight into the TAS way of thinking and I will be happy to answer and questions or comments.

Happy Printing!

Colin Goode
Sales Manager – TAS International
www.tasinternational.com.au
Colin Goode
Sales Manager
TAS International

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: TAS International News and Opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 09:28:51 PM »
Is there any truth to the statement made on the forum here a week or so ago, that TAS America will be working with anatol for service here in the states?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline starchild

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:36:39 AM »
On that note, here's their Hawk HX pimped out with vacuum pallettes printing transfers in Miami for Burger King.. I think although it's a debate about taking each color down the dryer tunnel before the next color, the company was on the side of flashing on press. They did it the former way at first but settled on staying on press.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT3X8YyhCes

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:45:33 AM »
I spent years pumping out the shirts on a Tas Hawk E, and it was indeed solid and reliable. It also has a ROTO program, which was a bonus for a small machine
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline colintas

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »
Hi Alex.

TAS America offer service to a whole host of company's and will continue to do so, some of which would be Anatol customer's. I trust that answer's your question.

Cheers

Colin.
Colin Goode
Sales Manager
TAS International

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:41:08 PM »
Hi Alex.

TAS America offer service to a whole host of company's and will continue to do so, some of which would be Anatol customer's. I trust that answer's your question.

Cheers

Colin.

It does, thanks. My apology if I came off harsh, I just thought it would be a odd move to associate with a company(anatol) that has such a questionable reputation.

I applaud you got joining the forum, it is very nice to have a direct line of communication with a  manufacturer!

Do you happen to know Mike and his wife(very embarrassed her name has slipped my mind) that own Colour Components down your way? They are a printer as well as a supplier. I had the good fortune to meet them at ISS Long Beach, real great people!
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline colintas

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 10:34:50 PM »
Hi Alex.

I promise you didn't come across as harsh. I took the liberty of reading some of your old posts and have come to understand there is a little history between you guy's, so of course, I understand why you would have a vested interest in the subject.

Regarding the guy's at Colour Components, I'm afraid I haven't had the pleasure but I notice they are based up in Queensland, a little far from here. However, if they read this forum I would be happy to say g'day to them!

The one thing I've noticed on these forums is all the cool kids have an amusing tag line at the end of their posts......I must try to either think of one or plagiarise someone else's!!  ;)

Cheers,

Colin.
Colin Goode
Sales Manager
TAS International

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:08:07 PM »
Yes, I somewhat figured I would sound like a clueless American because I assumed since they were from Australia you would know them! I figured it was worth a shot! There was also another very nice couple from Australia I met at the show, they had a TAS press. From my understanding they are rather common in your area ;)  My memory is horrible and I lost their contact information, but I do think they were from Melbourne.

It is funny you mentioned the tag line bit, on my drive home from work tonight I thought to myself "I should think of a new clever tagline". That was the first time I gave any thought to my tagline since I have joined the forum. I look at the forum on my phone so often and that does not display the taglines.   
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline colintas

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 12:43:47 AM »
Alex, for what it's worth, I'm actually an ex. pat (English or 'Pom' as we are known in these parts, amongst some other unprintable names!) so before I arrived here nearly nine years ago, I also wouldn't have had a clue about the local geography!

Cheers,

Colin.
Colin Goode
Sales Manager
TAS International

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 03:36:55 AM »
I missed The Ashes (ie Cricket game) when it was played in Australia :'(, but I painfully watched it in Sydney when they were playing in England. :'(

Offline colintas

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 05:44:32 AM »
I had the misfortune of going to the first day of the Melbourne Test and the one daye match in January. Lost both games and as an Englishman on Aussie soil, it was a very painful experience! :)

Colin.
Colin Goode
Sales Manager
TAS International