Author Topic: Happy Birthday Superman!  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Happy Birthday Superman!
« on: February 12, 2014, 12:07:42 PM »
at least as a radio show.
Today marks the anniversary of the first broadcast in 1940.

Here it is, enjoy...

Adventures of Superman - first radio episode, The Baby from Krypton (1940)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

Re: Happy Birthday Superman!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »
just listened to it...can you imagine how incredible this must have been for the times...im sitting here listening to it and all i could think was 1) Superman was relatively new...and 2) this is all they had back then..a radio....amazing.
Mark

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 09:29:54 PM »
Listened to it all and was able to visualize it.  Pretty awesome.  Tks Andy.

Man, I'm giving away my age (no surprise), but I can remember checking the newspapers for the night's lineup - Johnny Dollar, Green Hornet, Lone Ranger, The Shadow and others.

Yea....BEFORE TV (or at least in our house).

But it was easy to picture it all in your mind.   

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:45:56 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:56:02 PM »
I can't say that I sat around the radio listening to the pre-tv comedies and dramas, but I sure loved 'em when they were played regularly thirty or so years later, when I had just hooked up with my wife.
Usually an AM station, and usually pretty late, we looked forward to each week night's show.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 10:10:35 PM »
I can't say that I sat around the radio listening to the pre-tv comedies and dramas, but I sure loved 'em when they were played regularly thirty or so years later, when I had just hooked up with my wife.
Usually an AM station, and usually pretty late, we looked forward to each week night's show.

I think I was about 7 or 8, so would be in the early  early 50s, but still pre-tv at least in our neighborhood.

When we finally got a tv (black and white of course), I can remember sitting up watching that damn annoying test pattern on Saturday mornings waiting for the first broadcast to begin.  Things like The Texas Rangers, Sky King, etc. 

Plunk your magic twanger............frogieeeeeeeeeee.  Ring any bells?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Happy Birthday Superman!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:15:40 PM »
Did you not see the shirt I was wearing during our interview at the Long Beach ISS show?
Ring any bells indeed! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:22:22 PM »
I remember watching the video, but only saw the top section of your shirt with a frog and attributed it to Frog Prints.

Was that the frog from the Buster Brown show?

http://www.plunkyourmagictwangerfroggy.com/

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 10:41:02 PM »
Yep, but technically, by his official title not a frog, but rather Froggy the Gremlin, from Andy's Gang (and originally Smilin' Ed) both sponsored by Buster Brown shoes.
That pic is from a photo of a Froggy squeeze toy.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 12:04:42 AM »
Ah.  Considering I'm going from a memory of the show and Andy Devine some 60 years ago, all I remembered was the clock and the frog (not the exact image).  But the phrase has stuck with me.