Author Topic: Air leaks on screen holders for M&R press  (Read 3565 times)

Offline JJPrint

• Verified/Junior
Air leaks on screen holders for M&R press
« on: February 10, 2014, 10:54:27 AM »
The screen holder air cylinders get hung up causing air to release back through the switch on top of the arm.  We have increased the oil drops per rotation and are currently adding oil manually at the valves which finally causes them to unstick (has to be done daily).  We have about 12 that are acting up right now.  We have been told just to replace them, just want to get some other opinions before we spend any money (2008 Sportsman E).

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

Re: Air leaks on screen holders for M&R press
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 10:58:25 AM »
it happens on both of our Gauntlets too - i think its from side loading the air piston.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »
The screen holder air cylinders get hung up causing air to release back through the switch on top of the arm.  We have increased the oil drops per rotation and are currently adding oil manually at the valves which finally causes them to unstick (has to be done daily).  We have about 12 that are acting up right now.  We have been told just to replace them, just want to get some other opinions before we spend any money (2008 Sportsman E).
Oil is only a temporary solution. You can either open them up and replace the seals from a local supplier of o rings and lubricate the inside with Magnalube grease or replace them. That type of cylinder is considered disposable so we don't carry replacement seals.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »
My 8/8 Chameleon with air clamps was under water for 3 weeks (hurricane katrina)...and my air clamps still work perfect. The only thing I do notice is that on SOME of the cylinders (I have the square ones on my press) the little exhaust holes at the bottom corners of the cylinders, air is being released out of them constantly...some release enough air to you can hear a very slight hiss...and others its so faint you wouldnt know it unless you put your finger over the hole to stop the air and then the air would force itself out under your finger.

But this doesnt not prevent the clamps from working perfectly. I'm sure no air is to be escaping and have not figured out yet how to make it stop on the ones this happens on.
Mark

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
Oil is only a temporary solution. You can either open them up and replace the seals from a local supplier of o rings and lubricate the inside with Magnalube grease or replace them. That type of cylinder is considered disposable so we don't carry replacement seals.

how would one open them - they looked sealed to me...

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »
My 8/8 Chameleon with air clamps was under water for 3 weeks (hurricane katrina)...and my air clamps still work perfect. The only thing I do notice is that on SOME of the cylinders (I have the square ones on my press) the little exhaust holes at the bottom corners of the cylinders, air is being released out of them constantly...some release enough air to you can hear a very slight hiss...and others its so faint you wouldnt know it unless you put your finger over the hole to stop the air and then the air would force itself out under your finger.

But this doesnt not prevent the clamps from working perfectly. I'm sure no air is to be escaping and have not figured out yet how to make it stop on the ones this happens on.
Same solution as above^
Rich Hoffman

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:37:59 AM »

how would one open them - they looked sealed to me...
There are two types and I dont know which one you have . One has two little holes on the top. There is a tool to insert into the holes and unscrew the top. The other type has a retaining ring on the bottom that you remove and the cylinder comes apart.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:16:28 PM »
The ones that 244 is talking about re-building are the newer style made by SMC. The older style are made by Clippard. Two different animals. Either way, priced at around $30 (from M&R) and you needing 12 of them, I would hardly consider them disposable.
Dale Hoyal

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 12:45:59 PM »
The ones that 244 is talking about re-building are the newer style made by SMC. The older style are made by Clippard. Two different animals. Either way, priced at around $30 (from M&R) and you needing 12 of them, I would hardly consider them disposable.
The manufacturers you quote are for the air valves. There issue is cylinders.
Rich Hoffman

Offline JJPrint

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 09:13:05 AM »
Is the O ring the problem or just being able to apply more Megnalube.  It seems once we get some oil in there it stops leaking and functions properly until the next day.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 10:37:07 AM »
Is the O ring the problem or just being able to apply more Megnalube.  It seems once we get some oil in there it stops leaking and functions properly until the next day.
It sounds like the seals are worn and rolling on the wall. The oil helps to prevent the roll for some time but when it goes away they roll. The Magnalube will drastically extend the time between the issue but the proper way would be to replace the rings with Magnalube. Try it as you have nothing but time to lose. Order 4 for one head and use those as the test. That way you are not down on one head if you have a problem. Also make sure its Magnalube. Other brands that claim to be the same product are definitely not!!!
Rich Hoffman

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 11:16:56 AM »
I've re-built my fair share if cylinders over the years and as Rich says, it is considered a disposable item. The cost to rebuild a couple small cylinders when one factors in the tools and time required to disassemble them, can cost more than simply buying a new one.

Now if you're looking across a floor of autos and looking at the potential of having to service/replace upwards of 50+ cylinders then it's economical to re-build them.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Action1

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
It sounds like the seals are worn and rolling on the wall. The oil helps to prevent the roll for some time but when it goes away they roll. The Magnalube will drastically extend the time between the issue but the proper way would be to replace the rings with Magnalube. Try it as you have nothing but time to lose. Order 4 for one head and use those as the test. That way you are not down on one head if you have a problem. Also make sure its Magnalube. Other brands that claim to be the same product are definitely not!!!

I know I've said this before - however...has anyone ever seen a man who knows his business as well as this man? Or who is as involved with such minute details as trouble shooting an o-ring??  Rich - what's the chemical equation for Magnalube??  :)
You set the bar extraordinarily high for the rest of us.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 03:47:28 PM »

I know I've said this before - however...has anyone ever seen a man who knows his business as well as this man? Or who is as involved with such minute details as trouble shooting an o-ring??  Rich - what's the chemical equation for Magnalube??  :)
You set the bar extraordinarily high for the rest of us.
I would not go that far but thanks. Magnalube is A very high quality grease impregnated with Teflon. Last a long time on aluminum!! Here is a link to the product on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Magnalube-G-PTFE-Grease-count-75oz/dp/B0023Y4Q8S
Rich Hoffman

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 04:13:53 PM »
You can't find a company as large as M&R with a  CEO more involved in his company/customers.  At least in this industry. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube