Author Topic: Permanent Block out  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Ryan

Permanent Block out
« on: March 11, 2014, 07:23:09 PM »
Anyone know what its called? the stuff I've seen people use around the outside of screens so they don't have to use tape or atleast less of. Someone here (guy in Gemany) had the video making his own screens and then used permanent blockout around the outside? anyone know what it is

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Permanent Block out
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 07:29:39 PM »
It's screen adhesive for stretching screens. I'll post a link to what we use, when I get back home.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 10:43:51 PM »
Ok so here is exactly what we have used-
http://nwgraphic.com/family.php?id=LS-850&dd=LIQUID-SEAL&cat=liquid-seal
I'm sure there are others you can use. Hard part for us at the start was applying it thin enough that it did not drip, yet still having enough of it to still cover. We just apply it with a 2" plastic $0.32 putty knife. It is extremely(yet tricky) helpful if you can have a vice hold one end of the screen and then you can run the putty knife on the top and bottom of the screen at the same time, 3 sides on all screens then flip them and do the remaining side. The stuff I posted is clear-ish so we actually put a few drops of WB/DC pigment in it so it stands out a bit better.  Getting a SMOOTH coating is KEY bumps(drips) make coating a pain.

The original place I knew of in the states that did this process was in MI somewhere, their name is something like CGS, GSC, GSK, GCS(you guys get the idea). They do a nice job! They also swear the calk they use in the corners is as heavily protected as the Coca-Cola recipe. I have found that a basic construction adhesive works well. We do prep the area with the same abrasive tool we use to prep the screens before we stretch them. That gives the adhesive "grooves" to adhere to.

For all I know, we do it completely backasswords and everyone has a much better way but that's how we have done it!
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:51:33 AM »
Xenon Fastener is one of these.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:12:28 AM »
we had some from Kiwo, dark blue in color. I cut a scoop coater down to apply it. TCT is right, watch the bumps -it needs to be smooth and drip free. we ended up ditching the idea after a few trials. We had breakdown where the emulsion covered the blockout. We use a larger coater so the blockout would make the coater drag a bit harder. cool idea, just our execution was terrible...chit was like 100.00 for a quart...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:20:22 AM »
So after thinking over the steps of how we applied the stuff I had a DUUUH moment.... Forget the vice, I bet if you just put the screens in a manual press you could apply it to all 4 sides and it would be easier!
Vice, Ha! What was I thinking! ???
Alex

www.twincitytees.com