Author Topic: Storage of artwork? (Morphed from film storage to digital file backup.)  (Read 9709 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Storage of artwork?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 02:29:44 PM »
I read what parker wrote, and I still fail to see how a virus will corrupt old versions of google drive files.  Every time you sync with drive with each computer, it will create a new version of the file if there have been changes made.  If a virus corrupts a file or many files, they would be stored as a new versions, but you can easily restore an old, uncorrupted version from drive.  I haven't dealt with something like parker is describing, but I have had to restore past versions of files due to plenty of other issues, as innocent as making changes to a psd file and saving over a previous version locally that I wanted to reference again.  Two minutes online and I had the old version to work from.

There are threads specifically discussing crytoviruses and google drive, and it's mentioned in a number of them how other services experience the same pitfalls as drive when it comes to isolating and backing up the unencrypted files from past versions because they aren't technically infected with a virus, just encrypted.  While cumbersome, you can restore older unecrypted versions of files from google drive.

My advice on best practices when it comes to these services is to disable autosyncing or syncing on startup, and to have multiple computers syncing to the same service.  For example, if I have google drive on my laptop and my desktop, i will work on one, sync when finished, move to my other computer, sync, and continue working.  If I was to get a cryptovirus during a session on one computer, I would have the opportunity to not sync the other computer and restore the files from there, or restore the files from within google drive using it's built in versioning capabilities if I made the mistake of syncing from the other computer.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 12:37:15 PM »
because as the files are corrupted, they replace the good files that are stored.  you start backing up corrupted files that essentially have a timer on them as to when they lock up and demand payment.

you don't know it's happening until it's too late....but go ahead and take your chances the way you are doing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransomware_(malware)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »
This thread has evolved far from suggestions on how best to store films, but I can play too.

I am surprised that these
"Cryptoware" nasties can somehow also overide the
"Go Back" and restore type applications and accessories.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2014, 01:32:06 PM »
This thread has evolved far from suggestions on how best to store films, but I can play too.

Actually pretty easily Andy. Most viruses and malware can make your windows restore look down right silly. Reason why is one of the first things they do when executed is to infect the actual back up/restore files.
"No man is an island"

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »
NO Frog..we have direct to screen...no film anymore...so nice!

SO nice to not have to file film anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jobs stored between 4 hard drives and a cloud. Should never lose  ;D
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2014, 01:42:13 PM »
IF the clound backup provider is offering the right servive, the ransomware/crypto viruses will only infect the latest backup version.  You should be able to restore to a version before the file was corrupted.

This right here tho is the reason why I keep 12 harddrives offsite as backups.   Most likely if something occurs, we're gonna notice it within a year.

$60 or so for a 1tb hard drive is cheap protection...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2014, 01:51:51 PM »
we lost a hard drive years ago before carbonite or anything like that...cost about $2500 to have it opened up and salvaged...it wouldn't spin...period.

an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »
I also like to keep a drawer with thumb drives, Call me nuts, but having different disconnected storage sources never hurts  ;D
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2014, 04:13:40 PM »
because as the files are corrupted, they replace the good files that are stored.  you start backing up corrupted files that essentially have a timer on them as to when they lock up and demand payment.

you don't know it's happening until it's too late....but go ahead and take your chances the way you are doing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransomware_(malware)

I don't think you're understanding the concept of versioning.  Google drive saves the last 100 versions of each file.  Versions are created whenever the modified date is changed locally and the file is synced.  Unless you are changing a file over 100 times AFTER the cryptovirus gets to it AND syncing it over 100 times you can restore from an uneffected version.  It only replaces the file locally or on the main file tree in drive (or other backup solutions that support versioning), it does not replace the past versions of the files.  In google drive those past versions are stored on redundant servers and do not count against your storage limitations.

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2014, 04:25:07 PM »

Andy I did not intend to derail the thread, however this is proving somewhat helpful in setting-up my backups in the future.  And I also wanted to caution others.

IF the clound backup provider is offering the right servive, the ransomware/crypto viruses will only infect the latest backup version.  You should be able to restore to a version before the file was corrupted.

The previous versions of this thing did not encrypt shadow back-ups or 1st versions, however this one does.  I can not stress to you all what this has done to our business.  My I.T. guy gave me a list of the files that are encrypted today and we lost 12,000+ files and are still counting.  Our new HD will have a third timed save option that disconnects from the network.   

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 04:33:18 PM »

Andy I did not intend to derail the thread, however this is proving somewhat helpful in setting-up my backups in the future.  And I also wanted to caution others.

The previous versions of this thing did not encrypt shadow back-ups or 1st versions, however this one does.  I can not stress to you all what this has done to our business.  My I.T. guy gave me a list of the files that are encrypted today and we lost 12,000+ files and are still counting.  Our new HD will have a third timed save option that disconnects from the network.

I learned years ago that threads are dynamic, and go where they go.
Probably the only downside to it here is that backups are really so important that they deserve their own threads.

And of course, most of us, like the OP, are using film, whether we keep it or not.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 07:40:14 PM »
I don't think you're understanding the concept of versioning.  Google drive saves the last 100 versions of each file.  Versions are created whenever the modified date is changed locally and the file is synced.  Unless you are changing a file over 100 times AFTER the cryptovirus gets to it AND syncing it over 100 times you can restore from an uneffected version.  It only replaces the file locally or on the main file tree in drive (or other backup solutions that support versioning), it does not replace the past versions of the files.  In google drive those past versions are stored on redundant servers and do not count against your storage limitations.

You're right, i didn't realize it does that.  smart.

Offline Kevbeck

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
Thanks for the reply guys, for now I've gone with the suspended large envelope system as suggested first. I can see the reasoning behind binning the artwork once used, and if wanted again then just reprint. This of course means the back up of files is crucial.

We did slightly go off on a tangent, may I suggest admin split the thread up into 2 versions as back up and storage of files is important, the info here should be placed where folk can excess it easy from the thread title.

Cheers

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2014, 10:05:34 PM »
good call on splitting it....also, speaking of which, even if google keeps old versions, what's to say a virus can't change the timestamp on the files and trick google into eventually writing over all previous copies.

it's a long shot, I know...but ransomware has also been dubbed "business killers"

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2014, 10:34:25 PM »
About splitting this thread:

I'm almost more inclined to merely change the subject title to reflect storing and backing up digital art files, and just getting rid of the few pesky replies about storing films, while leaving that to the old thread to which I aimed the OP anyway.

Splitting a thread, and keeping both new threads complete and cohesive, without dumping or modifying some is damn difficult.