Author Topic: Storage of artwork? (Morphed from film storage to digital file backup.)  (Read 9710 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Storage of artwork?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 08:37:13 PM »
That really sucks Parker.

I need to get caught up on filing away but my system is to keep:

copy1 on the main workstation HD.  Workstation is backed up by time machine to an external drive.   

copy2 is drug into google drive and rests there as a separate, static copy. 

Something would have to compromise our workstation, compromise the time machine HD (we might catch it and disconnect before it backs up), then somehow compromise our google drive account.  There's probably a better/smarter way to do this than what I'm doing but actually having completely separate copies is the key I think.

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 10:20:43 PM »
parker, how recent was this?

Last week.  I first noticed Monay when working did not realize what it was.   We shut down Tuesday and Wedsday due to weather.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 08:54:47 AM »
holy chit.

I don't see how we could recover from that.  i am going to reanalyze how we do our backups here though.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 09:01:24 AM »
as a former x ray tech I would go to staples dot com and get x ray folders.  then alphabetic store them

Still using film.. THIS is the way to go.

The stickers on the side edge make for super easy tracking.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline gtmfg

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 09:02:01 AM »
Yep that scares the crap outta me. Probably should re start burning cd's again.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 09:31:22 AM »
I think at the beginning of every month we will copy everything to a new hard drive, keep that drive for 6 months and write over it.  so we will be rotating 6 drives in all, and when they are written, we will stash them in a fireproof safe offsite.

that is on top of the raid, plus offsite cloud backup.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 06:26:56 PM »
Ohhhh, swapping out raid drives sounds like a real easy way to do this.  Good thought.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 07:08:18 PM »
We do the same.. 12 drives.. 1 for each month... rotate them in and out of our safety deposit box at the bank... data share backup every month and then taken offsite.

Any of the cloud backup providers should be able to offer historical backups and changes. (Mozy comes to mind)... you can restore a file to a particular point in time... but I trust my own hardware as a tertiary backup.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 08:11:29 AM »
for the price of the online backup companies, it's worth a little extra piece of mind...also, those are good if you copy over a file and need to get it quick, just log on and download the old version.

safe deposit box at the bank, huh?  never thought of that.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 10:25:02 AM »
I use google drive for digital storage/backup.  You can access your files from any computer with an internet connection, it syncs well with gmail for shooting off proofs (which I use with my domain name to manage emails: AWESOME), and for 100G of space I pay 4 dollars a month.  It also automatically supports versioning and has built in excel/word/etc.  I can't imagine using something else...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 10:27:59 AM »
yeah, until those files become corrupted.

I use backblaze...it allows us to backup from external drives, like our NAS.  carbonite does now I think as well...backblaze is about $5 per month for unlimited.

But, I will be adding the offsite hard drive backup as well...i am not taking any chances.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 11:01:19 AM »
corrupted? ive been using it since release on 3 computers without issue and have a 1gb external i use every 3 months as an extra precaution. the files are stored locally on each machine as well, so if you notice corruption you could quickly and easily backup from another computer or delete and resync.  i cant imagine spending a lot more money for services that do the same thing without the gmail integration...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »
did you miss what jparker posted up top? a virus will chew through those files in no time...even the backup versions, and you won't notice until it's too late.

backblaze costs less considering the amount of storage I use.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »
I think the question as to online backup corruption would be how long is it before you notice the data is corrupted.

I've used Mozy to recover a version of a file from 3 weeks prior, and that file had daily changes made to it.  I could select whatever day I wanted the version of the file for recovery.  Quite useful if you have multiple people updating files.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »
Is their not any settings available to not allow encryption? I have been reading about the new encryption scams going on, no you probably could not stop it from encrypting your HD but surely your back up site should be able to deny encryption some how.
"No man is an island"