Author Topic: Snowing in louisiana  (Read 3214 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Snowing in louisiana
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 10:16:24 AM »
Having grown up in the Northwest, the thing that scares me most about this kind of weather in Austin is the morons who have enough trouble staying on the road when it drizzles.  Seriously, yesterday in the relatively light freezing rain there were 3 enormous pile ups and they closed 35 within a few hours.  Pretty pathetic, and really scary thinking about sharing the roads with these idiots.

Freezing rain is no joke no matter where you are in the country. You guys further south seem to get freezing rain more often than we do, due to the warmer climate. When we get freezing rain it covers every inch of everything, takes down trees and power lines. Driving on is nearly impossible even with 4X4 unless you have studded tires or chains.
"No man is an island"

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »
Should we start the talk about "Global Cooling"?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 10:50:36 AM »
Freezing rain is no joke no matter where you are in the country. You guys further south seem to get freezing rain more often than we do, due to the warmer climate. When we get freezing rain it covers every inch of everything, takes down trees and power lines. Driving on is nearly impossible even with 4X4 unless you have studded tires or chains.

I'm not saying it is easy, but it isn't hard to drive safely in the conditions we had last night.  Austin drivers are used to driving 10-15 over the speed limit and/or tailgating.  When it rains even a little, we experience tons of accidents because people don't change how they drive for whatever reason.  They expect to be able to drive 10 feet behind the car in front of them and slam on their breaks every few seconds and still stop on a dime.  Honestly, driving in Texas is the scariest and most frustrating thing about living here.

edit: last night I drove 3 blocks to the grocery store and at the only light I have to go through, a pickup guns it at the light and spins immediately into the middle of the intersection.  I see that kind of stuff all the time...

Offline Baron265

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 11:06:27 AM »
Here in Phoenix, we haven't had rain all month. The precipitation must be getting pushed east.
Paul Schmidt
Regional Manager
Workhorse Products, Inc.
(602)414-3684
pschmidt@workhorseproducts.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 11:14:08 AM »
I lived in phx for 7 years.  Sometimes I miss having less than 10 days of rain a year and glorious sunshine every day :D

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 11:22:03 AM »
Wow that snow must have jumped over our part of Alabama, all we got was some dam wet cold weather and a freeze warning last night.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!