Author Topic: Any Collectors Here...???  (Read 2835 times)

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
Any Collectors Here...???
« on: August 01, 2011, 11:38:41 PM »
My passion has always been Knives and tools....

I am not the type of collector that just puts them in a box tho, so sadly I have bought and lost many knives and tools over the years. I currently carry a Benchmade/Spyderco Hybrid (The one in the center). I do hope I don’t lose it (although I prolly will) because it isn’t produced anymore. At one time I had prolly 15 high end knives (I now have 4 or 5). The knife to the left is a Benchmade Mel Perdue Tanto blade model. Prolly one of the most rugged knives I have ever owned. I washed it and a few of the screws came out (Or I think that is when they fell out) It prolly 9 years old and I need to make a trip to Fastenal to find replacements. The butterfly to the right is A Benchmade Bali-Song..... Titanium handles, and super sharp, seriously ninja grade stuff  ;D. I actually just cut myself lol (by accident  :P)... Which inspired me to put out this post (yeah weird... I kno).

I will say my favorite knife of all time is the Spyderco police model; I have already lost 2, and will eventually buy another. This bad boy is super slim and easy to carry, with a 4" blade that I can get out of my pocket and open in about a half a second..... Seriously until you hold one, a picture doesn’t do it justice... ;)

I also mentioned tools.... Craftsman, Snap-On, Dewalt, And Porter Cable are definitely my favorite.... But I think I will save that for another thread (or later in this one if anyone is interested in talking tools)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:25:33 AM by spotcolorsupply »
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline Donnie

• !!!
Re: Any Collectors Here...???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 11:52:51 PM »
I collect dust mostly.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:36:55 AM »
Though not nearly as macho, I have some older pocket knives, and would snap some pics of some unused Keen Kutters (E C Simmons vintage) and real Winchesters from the same era that I picked up back in the '70's at a yard sale down the block, but they are in a safe deposit box.
Here, however is my dresser-top box of daily cutters (not counting various multi tool Leathermen and Gerbers in my various vehicles.

The knife on the left is an example of one of the first Paul Knives
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 06:54:15 AM »
I collect money.  And you are never too old to start collecting that.

Actually, I sort of stopped collecting stuff.  I'ts hard to keep up with the stuff after a while.  That and I don't find myself getting attached to too much stuff anymore because I realized, it's stuff...and if I lost it, it's replaceable...Oh, and I'm married, so I'd have to keep it contained to the basement. ;)

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:58:08 AM »
I have a few upscale pocket knives. Most notably one I bought on St John for some reason (there may have been rum involved) I haven't even looked at it in a couple of years but I'll never forget the fact that it cost $1,000. Asian metalurgy etc. And for $1,000 you get a Care and Feeding DVD!

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »

How does the lock work..? Is it a push button? Don’t think I have seen one of those.

And what is up with the pen looking thing on the right.... :o

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 08:45:12 PM »
I collect money.  And you are never too old to start collecting that.

The more I collect the more the wife spends.... She can’t spend my knives or tools...

Actually, I sort of stopped collecting stuff.  I'ts hard to keep up with the stuff after a while.  That and I don't find myself getting attached to too much stuff anymore because I realized, it's stuff...and if I lost it, it's replaceable

That is why I don’t buy any truly "Valuable" knives.  ;)

...Oh, and I'm married, so I'd have to keep it contained to the basement. ;)

Damn right!!! Gotta have the man cave 8)

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 08:47:18 PM »
I have a few upscale pocket knives. Most notably one I bought on St John for some reason (there may have been rum involved) I haven't even looked at it in a couple of years but I'll never forget the fact that it cost $1,000. Asian metalurgy etc. And for $1,000 you get a Care and Feeding DVD!

Holy crap... Sounds fancy!! I would like to see that bad boy  :D

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 12:39:45 AM »

How does the lock work..? Is it a push button? Don’t think I have seen one of those.

I believe the lock on the left one is that slide looking button above the nut holding the frame together.

Don't get caught in Texas with the Butterfly knife on you.  Any knife that can be opened with one hand by gravity or spring is illegal and will get you tossed in the clink.  At the very least having to spend your hard earned money on an attorney. 

Me, when I need to, I carry this (with a straight blade)

http://compare.ebay.com/like/170670160796?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

It's a Benchmade ATS 34.  It has a heavy blade and will open with a medium strong gravity flip and has a 'liner' lock.  There's a pressure bearing (adjustable) that holds the blade in so it does not readily appear to be openable by gravity (or flipping) so I don't worry about carrying it and I'm in Texas.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:02:13 AM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 01:08:09 AM »

Yes, it's a push button lock. Look at the schematic or exploded view on the site I linked to.

And that pen type thing is an Airbrush. I'm notorious for having a little of everything, everywhere! Just ask my wife.

BTW, my main collections are "automobilia" and model and toy cars. Someday, I'll snap some pics of customer area which is a real man-cave, that the kids like too!

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 04:31:33 PM »
Seems I'm an expert at collecting dust:-O
Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 11:41:55 PM »
I collect old fishing lures. So if you got any. I'll pay the shipping. :)

I had a mess of them at one point. Sold most of them to another collector. Now I'm starting allover again. Seriously, if you got old lures, I would take a look at some pictures.

This was my best one. I'd like to get that one back. It was the 2nd model ever made and some say actually the first 9in 1902).  I mean THE 2nd model and they made about 40 of them.  This one is worth big money by itself and more with the box. Mostly, I just collect them for the nostalgia. Very few are really worth any good money. Most art in the $3.00-$15.00 range. I collect specialty item lures as well. Beer cans and any other trinkets made into lures. Think "Joe Camel" combined into a lure or a Dale Earnhardt #3 car lure.

http://www.mrlurebox.com/dowagiacbait.htm
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 11:53:03 PM »
That is One Ugly Lure. 

Were the fish really that stupid (or starving) 100 years ago?

I used to have some Lazy Ikes and some weird lures 25 years ago.  Now all my stuff is more in the plastic worms, spinner baits, and jigs.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 02:38:48 AM »
Fishing eh? I have a box full of Mitchell Garcia 300's.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 06:37:07 AM »
debt, it would seem that I collect debt and that I am quite energetic about it.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.