Author Topic: Non-Carrier Sheet Template Question  (Read 2103 times)

Offline ScreenPrinter123

Non-Carrier Sheet Template Question
« on: January 06, 2014, 09:50:23 AM »
We use a modified tri-loc fpu style setup and printed a piece of film that we taped to our board that matches the three .01 stroke crosshairs we print on each of our films for registering jobs.  The problem is that it doesn't take long for the film template to develop wrinkles/bubbles no matter how tight you pull it before taping the edges of the template to the board (attached pic should help this make sense)

Any suggestions on what to do instead?  Thought about a super fine point sharpie but am not sure I would be able to exactly match our three crosshair setup.  I know a few of you use a similar setup so hopefully someone can provide a duh moment for me with a great suggestion.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Non-Carrier Sheet Template Question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »
Why not spray adhesive?

Offline Grumpy Ole Artist

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
Burn a screen and print the marks on the board directly?
Humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of incongruities.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »
Or have someone like homer print it on an adhesive vinyl.
"No man is an island"

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:19:32 PM »
Burn a screen and print the marks on the board directly?

I like this idea...what kind of ink do you think would work on high density polyethylene (http://www.grainger.com/product/Sheet-1ZAL9?searchQuery=1zal9)?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 03:03:23 PM »
Use a piece of glass to keep it flat. If you are not registering the films to each other than the depth of the glass is not going to change your accuracy. We have had a similar setup for years and have had the same piece of film below with no wrinkles.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 03:07:42 PM »
Use a piece of glass to keep it flat. If you are not registering the films to each other than the depth of the glass is not going to change your accuracy. We have had a similar setup for years and have had the same piece of film below with no wrinkles.
No problems for multicolor work?  It would seem that you would have to look at the same angle every since the screen will now be even farther from the template.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 03:28:33 PM »
I made a white Formica top, layed out the grid lines then took my router with a pointy bit and cut my marks leaving a narrow score line. Painted the lines with several colors of paint for reference let it dry then took a razor and scrapped off the excess paint.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 03:38:10 PM »
I made a white Formica top, layed out the grid lines then took my router with a pointy bit and cut my marks leaving a narrow score line. Painted the lines with several colors of paint for reference let it dry then took a razor and scrapped off the excess paint.

How about I just send you my board  ;)  I am not that patient and talented!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 03:58:26 PM »
Our top that the grid/film attaches to is slightly convexed so it doesn't wrinkle but a very tiny bit.  I like Blue's idea since convexing like I did was more trouble than it's worth. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Croft

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 05:30:01 PM »
I bought a professional light table from the old printing days , it has a piece of glass layered with white acrylic , I just sandwiched the template between the 2 so the template never gets dirty or moves.

Offline BorisB

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 02:23:22 PM »
Use Letraset?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 02:55:57 PM »
Use Letraset?

Then cover with clear packing tape? Does Letraset even still exist? We used lots of their stuff up 'til about 1990 when we went digital...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline BorisB

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 03:09:53 PM »
After I posted it, same question about existence of Company Letraset made me google Letraset. On web they offer four basic fonts. Thin lines under letters would be perfect...

But nowadays, you probably get register marks  laser engraved for small money.