Author Topic: a shirt we printed was on the tonight show last night!  (Read 1421 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
a shirt we printed was on the tonight show last night!
« on: February 18, 2014, 09:37:45 AM »
So last night was Jimmy Fallon's first night as the host of the tonight show! Will Smith was his guest, and he presented him with a shirt that a client of ours made, and we print and mailorder! Pretty cool!

Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Action1

Re: a shirt we printed was on the tonight show last night!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 09:53:20 AM »
That's fantastic Eric. Congratulations. Your company does excellent work. My entire team wears the shirts you made for us every day.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 10:10:08 AM »
Awesome!
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 10:49:24 AM »
first of all: awesome!

second, and not to derail the thread, but...

I have seen that shirt or ones extremely similar (same photo, slightly different crop/scale/font or ink color) all over the internet.  There are probably 2 dozen etsy stores alone selling a version of it.  I kind of have two questions: is this legal to print as it uses Will Smith's image or does it fall into the gray area of parody?  Also, is your client the actual original owner of the design and just hasn't protected it at all?  Like I said, not to derail the thread, just curious as this is a good example of a lot of types of shirt requests I get and everyone has always said "err on the side of caution".
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:54:45 AM by mimosatexas »

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:52:48 AM »
well we printed one for the last tonight show host.... :)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 10:53:26 AM »
That's cool!!

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 12:02:42 PM »
first of all: awesome!

second, and not to derail the thread, but...

I have seen that shirt or ones extremely similar (same photo, slightly different crop/scale/font or ink color) all over the internet.  There are probably 2 dozen etsy stores alone selling a version of it.  I kind of have two questions: is this legal to print as it uses Will Smith's image or does it fall into the gray area of parody?  Also, is your client the actual original owner of the design and just hasn't protected it at all?  Like I said, not to derail the thread, just curious as this is a good example of a lot of types of shirt requests I get and everyone has always said "err on the side of caution".

To be perfectly honest from what i understand, it falls under the parody law. but i'm not 100% on it, but we do have an entertainment lawyer that we work with, and we got the ok on it. I would say though, NONE of us expected will smith to have one. I do know Jada's Brother ordered 6 of them though.

As far as I know Night Owls and our client are the original owners. That "how to piss off a hipster" picture that floated around the internet, is our actual client, wearing the shirt we printed. We designed it (if you can call adding text and halftoning a pic, design). We are actually going through the etsy shops today, to try and stop bootlegging

Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
ah good to know.  Just fyi, it is on a lot more than just Etsy.  They are being sold on cafepress, zazzle, printfection, etc. and a bunch of random shirt sites.  If you google "the smiths will smith shirt" and go to images you will see all the different "versions" being sold.

Offline MrBreeze

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 03:37:30 PM »
Well if we're showing off here's one of my designs from my shop.
If it's so easy, you do it.