Author Topic: anyone had experience with this squeegee sharpener?  (Read 5555 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
anyone had experience with this squeegee sharpener?
« on: December 21, 2013, 06:28:48 PM »
Ok, I just purchased 12 feet of 55/90/55 fimor squeegee blade for a cost of $300 plus.  After crying about the cost, it has me looking a squeegee sharpeners.  I don't want to shell out mega bucks for a sharpener.  I ran across a DIAMOND-Eez Kit.  It says it's for manual printers.  My question is, what would stop you from sharpening automatic squeegees with it and has anyone had any experience with that model.  I know you have to assemble it but it's $445.00 compared to many I've seen for $1000 and up.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline abchung

• !!!
Re: anyone had experience with this squeegee sharpener?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 07:16:55 PM »
My experience in buying a squeegee sharpener (serilor®SHORT-CUT Diamond wheels sharpener).

Make sure your squeegees can fit into the sharpener.

I needed to change my Fimor/Serilor to the larger ones because the small SR3 squeegee can't reach the cutter.

Offline gtmfg

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 08:23:41 PM »
Used sharpener on Sps-i's site

Offline Admiral

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 08:44:39 PM »
We bought used.  Same kind as on SPS site, 36" wide model for $600 locally actually to a guy that closed down his business.

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 09:30:58 PM »
Ok, I just purchased 12 feet of 55/90/55 fimor squeegee blade for a cost of $300 plus.  After crying about the cost, it has me looking a squeegee sharpeners.  I don't want to shell out mega bucks for a sharpener.  I ran across a DIAMOND-Eez Kit.  It says it's for manual printers.  My question is, what would stop you from sharpening automatic squeegees with it and has anyone had any experience with that model.  I know you have to assemble it but it's $445.00 compared to many I've seen for $1000 and up.

Can you post a link to it?  I think I may have it and would sell it to you for $200.  I don't use it and it's just setting up in my loft.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »
Here is the link to the sharpener I'm talking about.  I can't find anything about it on the Fimor site.  Anyway here is the link, it's at the bottom of  the page.

http://floridaflex.com/squeegees.html

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 12:16:56 PM »
I can't see why you wouldn't be able to use it for automatic squeegees. It may take a bit to get the feed just right manually, but it should get the job done. Goota go slow and steady with the little diamond wheel and make sure you don't build up heat.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Admiral

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 12:58:24 PM »
Call them about the size of the sharpener at that price.  It shouldn't be a 36" wide one, they would be losing money on that sale.  By the picture though it's about the same sharpener we have.  Before we had our sharpener I remember a new 20" wide one(can't remember brand) was $1000.  That was the show special price.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 04:27:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure the kit you're looking at requires some DIY--the picture is misleading.  The short cut does 19", the next model up does 39, but the kit is just the sharpener head, carriage, and I'm guessing the hardware for the squeegee holder as well--IIRC.

If you pick one up, I'd love to see a few pics of the kit and how much work it is to get it going--we were considering a short-cut till we got a quote.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 04:41:31 PM »
I've got a like new short cut I would be willing to sell. We've recently gone to the qwik clamp m&r system so we do not sharpen blades anymore. I have two different diamond wheels for it. If interested pm me with an offer. Less then 5 hrs of use on it.
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Admiral

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 04:58:35 PM »
I've got a like new short cut I would be willing to sell. We've recently gone to the qwik clamp m&r system so we do not sharpen blades anymore. I have two different diamond wheels for it. If interested pm me with an offer. Less then 5 hrs of use on it.

What's the reason not to still sharpen blades?

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »
As much as these machines help by giving you a nice, crisp edge to shear the ink, one of the biggest benefits is the squeegee edge becomes almost perfectly true/straight. This alone lets you reduce squeegee pressure and improve printing. On most squeegee holders it's almost impossible to put a blade in and not have some untrue-ness to the print edge. On squeegees we considered almost perfect, we often see .030 - .050" of out-of-true as the sharpener starts doing passes and taking .005" each pass.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 05:25:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure the kit you're looking at requires some DIY--the picture is misleading.  The short cut does 19", the next model up does 39, but the kit is just the sharpener head, carriage, and I'm guessing the hardware for the squeegee holder as well--IIRC.

If you pick one up, I'd love to see a few pics of the kit and how much work it is to get it going--we were considering a short-cut till we got a quote.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a diy.  There is not much about it except that I read on performance screen supplies site that it was for manual printers which scares me away.  I'm new to the squeegee sharpening part of it.  I'm just trying to eliminate any part of the printing process that could cause issues especially since we are getting more and more of sim process jobs and 4 color process.   I know you can buy a lot of squeegee material for the price of one, but there will eventually be a ROI.  Not to mention the time it will eliminate as far a swapping blades in the holders, rounding corners and etc. 

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 10:41:29 PM »
I bought a fimor short cut for $1400 with $400 shipping.
I tried to look on the fimor website and cant find any specs for the sharpener you posted.

The company that makes the fimor brand is encore engineering USA.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk