Author Topic: Wat the heck American flag backwards  (Read 6734 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Wat the heck American flag backwards
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 08:46:50 AM »
This will always be a debatable issue but in general the rule of thumb is the star field is SUPPOSED to be to the viewers left.
If flown horizontal on right and left sleeves stars lead, stripes follow, if displayed vertically the star field is SUPPOSED to be upper left to the viewer.
Just to stir the pot some more ......the Colors are never flown at half mast on land only on a ship, flags on land are flown at half staff and only the President can officially call the Colors to half staff or mast.

All the flag info you might debate is here
 http://www.flagkeepers.org/flag_rules0.aspx#Section_175:_

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »
The blue field of stars should always be in the highest position of honor. When viewing the flag on a wall, the highest position of honor is the upper left when displayed horizontally, and at the top (upper left) when displayed vertically. When displayed on a "moving object" like a person or vehicle, the highest position of honor is the front, and not the rear; so the field of blue should be displayed to the front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 05:39:54 PM »
I alway think its sad that we don't know how to display the symbol of our freedom and that people have to debate how to display it. The rules gave never changed.

RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »
I alway think its sad that we don't know how to display the symbol of our freedom and that people have to debate how to display it. The rules gave never changed.

Sweets,   As I'm sure you're aware, (it's not that common) for non military know all of the in's and out's of flying the flag in various situations (as the Military does). We know the basics and many of us, only half of that. I'll add, that these additional (inside additional military use) details were not mentioned here http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf

Did you know for example, that it is technically not allowed to be in, on or (as) apparel/textiles, See #9, RESPECT FOR THE FLAG item d & g.  I don't think that means you can't (print the flag) on apparel), but rather it's stating that it's in poor taste and "technically, they could, but will not prosecute.

There are different sets of regulations (for different situations). Noted here, are regulations (specifically) for civilians.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf

See here for a little more on that.  http://www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs-publish.cfm?pid='0E%2C*PLS%3F%22%20%20%20%0A

Use of the Flag in Jewelry, Commercial Products, Wearing Apparel,
and Advertising

The Flag Code addresses the impropriety of using the flag as an article of personal adornment, a
design on items of temporary use, and item of clothing.49 The evident purpose of these suggested
restraints is to limit the commercial or common usage of the flag and, thus, maintain its dignity.
The 1976 amendments to the Code recognized the wearing of a flag patch or pin on the left side
(near the heart) of uniforms of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic
organizations.50 The Code also states that the flag should never be used for advertising purposes
in any manner whatsoever.51
While wearing the colors may be in poor taste and offensive to many, it is important to remember
that the Flag Code is intended as a guide to be followed on a purely voluntary basis to insure
proper respect for the flag. It is, at least, questionable whether statutes placing civil or criminal
penalties on the wearing of clothing bearing or resembling a flag could be constitutionally
enforced in light of Supreme Court decisions in the area of flag desecration.52
In the past, the Supreme Court has held that states may restrict use of pictures of the flag on
commercial products.53 There is a federal criminal prohibition on the use of the flag for
advertising purposes in the District of Columbia.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 11:53:01 AM »
When I was in school we had a history teacher that spent several days educating us on what to do and not to do. It all is about respect and holding it in the highest Esteem. Thinking about it I guess most people would not know unless they looked into it. I guess I should say I find it sad that we all are not taught this in school.

Roger
RT screen designs
Www.rtscreendesigns. Com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 12:10:34 PM »
Agreed.  I don't know if they (public schools) all went into the detail as to how the military allows (the military) to use it tho. I only say that considering how the USGOV site doesn't even go into those details.  I'd guess you have to be someone who deals with them directly like we do and even then, as you see, we have to ask around.

Who'd of thunk we can't really print the flag on tees...with other elements on it. I did one recently for a printer that gave em the direction with specifics. Wanted some art splashed right smack dab in the center of the flag (used as a background) and he has about 4 other designs very similar.  Flags as background on tee designs is pretty common.

I did complete a design of two flags (one Israel) and other the US flag. He was aware that we needed to put the US flag slightly higher and larger than the other flag even tho they were juxtaposed and the staff needed to be on top.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 01:03:45 PM »
If you guys want you can use our Canadian flag. Being symmetrical, It looks good coming and going!  ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 10:33:46 AM »
If you want to know, you go to the people who know; ie: military personnel and vets, not some government website...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 10:40:23 AM »
If you want to know, you go to the people who know; ie: military personnel and vets, not some government website...

Steve

You mean, We shouldn't go to our Gov to get the right answers?  What the dicken's you say?

I think (as it pertains) to the Military, yes, go to the source. For general every day use, the common thing (for common folk) would be to go to the Gov. site for Flag Flying info.

Same thing for Copy right laws I guess. We have the Gov website for copy right answers and then we can go to your Lawyer to have him/her tell us what we can and can't do or, (get a way with). ;)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 10:43:32 AM »
If you guys want you can use our Canadian flag. Being symmetrical, It looks good coming and going!  ;D

That is debatable...just puts me in the mood for syrup.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 10:48:47 AM »

Ya gotta love their hospitality... eh?

Family Guy - AAA
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 12:37:08 PM »
When I was in school we had a history teacher that spent several days educating us on what to do and not to do. It all is about respect and holding it in the highest Esteem. Thinking about it I guess most people would not know unless they looked into it. I guess I should say I find it sad that we all are not taught this in school.

Roger
RT screen designs
Www.rtscreendesigns. Com

Sadly i cannot remember everything I was taught in school. If it was lessons on things that I needed to know later in life or throughout my life then its easier to remember those things. For instance I cannot recall very much of flag etiquette but I do know the important common ones. Ones that I have seen or heard through out my life. I know that the proper disposal of a flag should be done by a Vet and folded and burned. When i worked at a cemetery we picked up the old and shredded flags from the graves 3 times a year. We then delivered them to the local American where they properly disposed of them.

I also know the flag flying upside down generally means distress. I also know the flag should not be flown in bad weather.
"No man is an island"

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »

Syrup is East coast, Out here on the West Coast we have Salmon and good Pot. Both smoke up nicely and make great Christmas gifts from what I hear.

... Not a fan of Maple myself, except on my pancakes.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 06:06:50 PM »
On the East Coast we have Salmon, good weed, and syrup. Not that I would put syrup on Salmon, unless of course the weed is really, really good...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 06:20:55 PM »
Actually, Candied Salmon is to die for, also known as Indian Candy. Maple syrup, brown sugar, salt and into the smoker........

Of course a little weed before, during or after doesn't hurt either... Or so I've heard.
Wishin' I was Fishin'