Author Topic: Exchanging currency for travel out of US  (Read 5525 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Exchanging currency for travel out of US
« on: December 12, 2013, 10:06:04 AM »
I know this isn't exactly a travel site but I was hoping we have some well traveled members. I have only really been out of the US once, about 2hrs in Mexico O0.... So I am clueless. I leave on Sunday for a trip overseas, any advice on exchanging currency? Can I buy a pre paid credit card or anything? All my credit cards seem to have like a 5% transaction fee, or they just state there is a fee but don't disclose what % which is even less comforting.

Any help guys?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Re: Exchanging currency for travel out of US
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:25:03 AM »
you are gonna pay fees! that's how they make money.  we travel to Europe ALOT and I always just use my credit card.  I have tried travelers checks and exchanging cash, but I find it easier to just use my card.  Its not cheap to travel to Europe, I just live with it.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 11:26:47 AM »
'been a while since I've gone overseas, but I used to go a lot (once a month to Europe when we had a company there). I use my debit card for everything. Call your bank and get the info on the transaction fees and chose the card that gives you the best deal. Letting them know that you are traveling is helpful so they don't decline your transactions.

On the other note, make a photocopy of the front and back of every card or document you are taking with you and leave with somebody here in US. If you lose anything they will have all the info needed to call the bank, embassy or who ever with the document/card numbers.

Also call your cell phone company and get an international plan put on. This will reduce your per minute charges from $5 to $1 or so while you are over there. For longer trips, it might be worth buying a prepaid local card. If your phone will not work there, you can rent one or I can send you one (I'd have to make sure it still works).

Have some cash for emergencies and split it in several locations. Exchange the money in a bank rather than the exchange offices, especially the airports (as much as 20% difference in some places).

Bring food and water on the plane with you, do not eat on the ground, but wait to get to altitude (gasses expand at altitude and it can be uncomfortable on long flights). Make sure you have something to do while in the air. On long flights, boredom is a killer. Get something to read (Richard's articles?) or watch (laptops normally don't support 8 hours of movies on one charge so choose carefully).

I would avoid napping in the afternoons until your body gets used to the new time schedule.

off the top of my head, that should be it!

where are you going?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »
if per transaction fees are high, go to the bank and pull out the cash from your card. You can use an ATM and pull out $100 or so at a time.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 11:45:52 AM »
One other piece of advice. Get a pouch with a long strap to hang around your neck and put your cash, cards, and passport in there, and wear in inside your shirt.
This is what we did on a trip to the UK about 10 years ago, based on the experience of friends who were standing in the airport, were engaged in a conversation with a young woman, and whose bags were stolen out from under their noses while they stood there. They started their trip with no ID, passports, nothing but the clothes on their back.
As for cash, the only time I really needed it was to feed a parking meter in Bath, and to pay for a room in Edinburgh (to avoid taxes, I'd guess), and a trip to any ATM or bank will get you more if you need it.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 11:56:23 AM »
I usually travel to latin America, I always use ATM`s  inside the banks use your debit let your bank know which country you are gonna be at. I rather withdraw the equivalent of 300 bucks each time at these locations.
Happy Holidays  ;)

Offline Croft

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 12:16:55 PM »
If you have a debit card find out which systems it supports I know when I come to the States I can use any ATM's that have a "Plus"logo (at banks the logos that the ATM supports are usually near the machine) , It also works in the UK when I go.
 Not sure about Visa service fees , I get charged the exchange rate at the time when I make a purchase with one but no extra charges.
I would still take some cash, you may want to call your bank if you want some cash sometimes they have to order in the currency you need.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »
Ok, you guys are scaring me now! I'm a big dude, not that that will have a huge effect on things but a crook may be inclined to steal from a smaller person. But, I will have that "dumb as hell" look on my face so that won't help! I like my sheltered life here in the US, where I can carry my firearm!  ;)

I will only need money for random gifts and whatnots(hoping to score some Cuban cigars!) but figured I wouldn't get to far with any Andrew Jacksons....

where are you going?

pierre

Portugal

Longest I have ever been on a plane was 3hrs. :o This should be interesting!

I do have a Wells Fargo account, I ask them what they offer over there.

If I haven't posted by Christmas, I have been abducted. Please send help, I would like to be back for Long Beach. Heard there was some joker named Pierre teaching a class.... ;D
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »
Ok, you guys are scaring me now! I'm a big dude, not that that will have a huge effect on things but a crook may be inclined to steal from a smaller person. But, I will have that "dumb as hell" look on my face so that won't help! I like my sheltered life here in the US, where I can carry my firearm!  ;)

I will only need money for random gifts and whatnots(hoping to score some Cuban cigars!) but figured I wouldn't get to far with any Andrew Jacksons....

where are you going?

pierre

Portugal

Longest I have ever been on a plane was 3hrs. :o This should be interesting!

I do have a Wells Fargo account, I ask them what they offer over there.

If I haven't posted by Christmas, I have been abducted. Please send help, I would like to be back for Long Beach. Heard there was some joker named Pierre teaching a class.... ;D

you should be able to find Cuban cigars, just make sure you don't bring them back or get caught with them!

pierre

Offline Northland

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 12:50:15 PM »
I know this isn't exactly a travel site but I was hoping we have some well traveled members. I have only really been out of the US once, about 2hrs in Mexico O0.... So I am clueless. I leave on Sunday for a trip overseas, any advice on exchanging currency? Can I buy a pre paid credit card or anything? All my credit cards seem to have like a 5% transaction fee, or they just state there is a fee but don't disclose what % which is even less comforting.

Any help guys?
I'd let my CC company know I was traveling abroad, so they don't question the cards usage.
And... many public toilets charge for use, so carry the local coinage to avoid accidents.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »
Not sure about Portugal but in the Scandinavian countries of Norway, Sweden, and Denmark CC's are different than ours and every year I am over there it gets worse and worse for us. On their CC's they have a chip system and lots of places won't accept old school CC's - that means ours. Make sure you know your CC's pin number as that sometimes helps because it is not a signature thing that most of us are used to. And yeah, carry some Euro's on you. But there has to be someone on here that lives in Portugal. Isn't S-Roque from there?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 01:35:49 PM »
Isn't S-Roque from there?

That is my reason for the trip my friend. That and those Cuban cigars I hope to find...
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 02:54:46 PM »
Close friend of mine is from Portugal currently living in Sophia Bulgaria. Have to remember to Skype him and ask what the deal with currency in Portugal is like.

BTW Him being American technically has made for a crappy time in Bulgaria. I guess they don't like us there to much.
"No man is an island"

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »
You'll be fine. Travel is awesome. Just be aware of things and don't put things where pickpockets will get them. Be aware of tourist scams in cities.
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/298scam.htm

Portugal is in the Eurozone. Most big banks like WF can sell you Euros directly before you go but for a fee. Your WF card should work on ATMs there, just do like Pierre says and take out a bunch at a time. If you're going to exchange cash, foreign banks tend to like clean, crisp bills.

Take some Cipro or another anti-biotic with you. You can get the shitz if you drink tap water you're not used to. Europe tends to be OK but it's good to be prepared.

And try to stand up every hour or so on the plane if you can.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 06:30:11 PM »
Yeap, watch out for pick pockets. my friend was pick pocked within the first few hours after arriving in Italy. They work in teams.

Credit card is safe, but has very bad exchange rate.

Becareful with your phone. If it gets stolen, ring your telcom company ASAP to block the phone.

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Consumer-gets-mobile-phone-stolen-1904008.S.192729774

I don't know about the USA telcom companies. But Data/Internet international roaming for Australian Telco is a killer. So check with your telcom company.

We usually get a local sim card and if anything important, any one can contact us through what's app because what app's still thinks you still have the same number on the phone although the sim card is changed.

Safe trip and have fun.