Author Topic: Nike has apparently found a way to dye without water  (Read 775 times)

Offline StuJohnston

Nike has apparently found a way to dye without water
« on: December 04, 2013, 09:55:51 PM »
http://nikeinc.com/news/nike-colordry#/inline/25820

I couldn't quite figure out if it was meant for synthetics or cotton, but the article mentions synthetics. I wonder if this could make synthetics more colorfast, in terms of migration that is.

Offline abchung

• !!!
Re: Nike has apparently found a way to dye without water
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 12:01:51 AM »
The following article talks about polymer, so I would assume it is for synthetics.

http://www.dyecoo.com/pdfs/colourist.pdf

Thanks for posting. Very interesting technology...

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 12:23:04 AM »
No prob, one of my friends works in the environmental division and posted this on Facebook. I am not super savvy on how it will effect migration, but it seems like it ought to one way or another. Here's something I found pertinent

Quote from: the article abchung posted
Supercritical fluid CO2 enables polyester to be dyed with modified disperse dyes. It causes the polymer fibre to swell, allowing the disperse dye to diffuse and penetrate the pore and capillary structure of the fibres. The viscosity of the dye solution is lower, making the circulation of the dye solutions easier and less energy intensive. This deep penetration also provides effective coloration of polymers. Furthermore, dyeing and removine excess dye can be carried out in the same vessel; and residue dye is minimal and may be extracted and recycled.

It sounds like this process with make the dye go deep in the fibers and then the excess will be removed. And since pressure is the main ingredient as far as I can tell, heating the garment shouldn't have the same effect as it does on current synthetics, I hope.

it does look like it's synthetics only right now.

Quote from: article abchung posted
Currently, the process is limited to dyeing of scoured polyester fabric in runs of 100-150kg, although DyeCoo and it's partners are developing reactive dyes for cellulosics to be available for use in this process in the not too distant future.

Not sure about this process for natural fibers, at least as far as discharge goes.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 01:11:01 AM »
Sounds kind of like how they dye fruits and veggies to make them more appealing in the grocery store.  :D

cool idea though for sure.