Author Topic: WOW watch this glacier work it's way ashore into homes , insane!!!!!  (Read 1803 times)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
This is nuts!!!
Glaciers Visit Izatys Resort - Mille Lacs Lake, MN
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Croft

Re: WOW watch this glacier work it's way ashore into homes , insane!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 01:50:56 PM »
thats nuts , but I think Iwould be more concearned with my cottage/house getting taken off its foundation I'd be freakin looking for a plow or backhoe.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 02:29:37 PM »
"Oh my god, it caved in that door... we should call some body"

Really?  Took you 10 mins to come to that conclusion?

Instead of filming they should blocked off what they could... even if it wasn't much maybe some relief would have helped.

But, yes... crazy stuff.  Also another favorite line "how are they gonna stop it"... it's mother nature, you ain't stopping it!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 03:09:33 PM »
One home might of had a chance to fight it off with a back hoe but that would not work for more than one.

Was it a glacier or an ice surge from the lake? I never heard of glaciers in Minnesota.
"No man is an island"

Offline Croft

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 03:14:07 PM »
One home might of had a chance to fight it off with a back hoe but that would not work for more than one.

Was it a glacier or an ice surge from the lake? I never heard of glaciers in Minnesota.

It must be one of those rare roving glaciers, I hear they were here before  ;D

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »

I heard that story, something about glaciers ten thousand years ago but that has to be impossible. According to the bible the world is only 6 thousand years old.
"No man is an island"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 03:24:42 PM »

Were you watching "Inherit the Wind" last night? (the Scopes Monkey trial) ;D

Steve

I heard that story, something about glaciers ten thousand years ago but that has to be impossible. According to the bible the world is only 6 thousand years old.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 03:48:56 PM »
probably a roaming Ice Surge, we don't see much of that here in central FLA lol. They are calling it a glacier but I always thought a glacier was like an iceberg lol. Either way. Dumb ass people or not, they took some pretty cool footage for all of us to see, I wonder if insurance covers something like that. That's like a double wammee. First the crush, then when it melts, the flood damage. Totally nuts. I can't believe they stood there with it growing around them and kept their kids near it.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »

Were you watching "Inherit the Wind" last night? (the Scopes Monkey trial) ;D

Steve

Steve I only vaguely know what the Scopes Monkey Trial is never watched the movie. All I remember is it has something to do with teaching Darwinism in school. After a quick google I see it was a Spencer Tracy movie based on a real life event loosely all be it. Might have to netflix it some day and watch. Damn those evolutionists ;D
"No man is an island"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »
Yes, it's a great movie about a teacher being arrested/fired for teaching evolution back in the day. Spencer Tracy plays the defense lawyer, based on Clarence Darrow, and Fredrick March plays the prosecution, based on William Jennings Bryan. Dick York, the first Darin on Bewitched, plays the teacher. Spencer's character does a great job in taking down the Bible thumping prosecution, with some compassion I might add. Sorry to sidetrack the thread...  only 6000 years old, Jeez...

Steve

On the other hand, that seems like a good place to open a Flame Thrower rental store...
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »
I saw this this morning thought it was very wild, and the people just taking film, I would have been out my mind trying to do something, but then again what could have been done?

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Northland

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 09:15:41 PM »
I remember seeing this on the local news last spring.... it's just lake ice being driven onto the shore by the wind.
This lake is one of largest walleye factories in the state, but has slot limits which regulate what size fish can be taken.

In about a month, there will be thousands of fish houses on the lake... and resorts will be plowing access roads through the snow.