Author Topic: Quartz bulbs for Calmat flash  (Read 12755 times)

Offline squeegee

Re: Quartz bulbs for Calmat flash
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 09:39:01 PM »
Gaylen's flashes rock, we get 3 second flash times on big prints or small ones (at speed with hot pallets of course), and we normally only run ours at about 75%-80% of full power.

What is the size of the Gaylen flash? Is there any power difference needed? I have a Calmat flash and wonder if i have to run a new power line. Mine runs off a 3-Phase 40 amp. You think Gaylen would give a discount for board members or if we all buy them at the same time.

Mine run off of 40 amp 3 phase breakers, the size of my units I'm not totally sure about, but guessing from home right now I'd say 18 x 22~24, I will check for you tomorrow.  As to Gaylen giving a discount for multiple units, you could definitely ask, no harm in that.

Oh yea, his company is Machine Solutions in SC, Phone:(864) 574-7200.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:48:07 PM by squeegee »

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
This is not a post to sell you a flash but to possible help you with your understanding of flashes. A good quartz flash cure should gel your ink in around 1-3 seconds if you are using the proper  wavelength of IR. It is not the type of bulb so much as it is the wavelength. We have customers gelling the ink in one second once the pallets are warmed up and less than 5 seconds even if the pallets are not. A reference price can be had by looking at our Red Chili flash. A 18X22 on a stand that pulls 34 amps on 3 phase typically runs around $2500. That is also with a money back guarantee as well if you are not satisfied. If here at M&R we sell at that price that should be a good guide for what you should pay for others. Again this is not to sell you on our product. Hope it helps.

Does it work with a MHM e-Type. How much are the replacement bulbs? From what I understand the only flashes that we can use are the Calmat and the MSI (Gaylen's) flashes.

jon

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 09:37:18 AM »
Update again, the folks at Calmatech replied to an email that we could buy from them directly, and it would be the cheapest price. I'm waiting to hear from them as to what exactly that price would be.

I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 10:10:53 AM »
This is not a post to sell you a flash but to possible help you with your understanding of flashes. A good quartz flash cure should gel your ink in around 1-3 seconds if you are using the proper  wavelength of IR. It is not the type of bulb so much as it is the wavelength. We have customers gelling the ink in one second once the pallets are warmed up and less than 5 seconds even if the pallets are not. A reference price can be had by looking at our Red Chili flash. A 18X22 on a stand that pulls 34 amps on 3 phase typically runs around $2500. That is also with a money back guarantee as well if you are not satisfied. If here at M&R we sell at that price that should be a good guide for what you should pay for others. Again this is not to sell you on our product. Hope it helps.
I have no idea if it works with their press. I would assume it does but I am only guessing. Bulb replacement is $78.00 and should have a 5 year lifetime.

Does it work with a MHM e-Type. How much are the replacement bulbs? From what I understand the only flashes that we can use are the Calmat and the MSI (Gaylen's) flashes.

jon
Rich Hoffman

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 11:19:20 AM »
Wow at your flash times Pierre.  I don't want to add insult to injury, but that is a long time dude.  When we get heated up, a thick ub from a 110 takes about 2-2.5, a thin ub from a 175-230, 1-1.5 seconds.  Of course the right ink plays a large roll in those flash times.  I've had some whites that take 5 seconds to flash even when things are hot, then there are others that are 2 seconds on the same print.  I had major issues getting the Xenon white to gel, so no matter how good I thought it was on everything else, I couldn't live with those flash times.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 12:22:48 PM »
Rich, I think your numbers are wrong.  I don't have a quartz flash, but if you send me one for free, I could prove you wrong.  :P

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 12:54:47 PM »
LOL! They are "almost" free!
Rich Hoffman

Offline squeegee

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 05:28:08 PM »
Gaylen's flashes rock, we get 3 second flash times on big prints or small ones (at speed with hot pallets of course), and we normally only run ours at about 75%-80% of full power.

What is the size of the Gaylen flash? Is there any power difference needed? I have a Calmat flash and wonder if i have to run a new power line. Mine runs off a 3-Phase 40 amp. You think Gaylen would give a discount for board members or if we all buy them at the same time.

Ours are 18" wide by 24" deep.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 11:10:44 PM »
Thanks Squeegee. Can you PM me what you paid for them. Do they have a website???

Offline Flying Colors

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
Try these people: www.lexusa.com - Lamp Express USA. They have a minimum, but maybe a few other guys here might be able to go in it together. When we bought from them, I sent them a pic of each end and the dimensions of the bulb. They shipped them to me and they fit perfectly and worked great. We have Calmat flashes as well.

Mark

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »
Try these people: www.lexusa.com - Lamp Express USA. They have a minimum, but maybe a few other guys here might be able to go in it together. When we bought from them, I sent them a pic of each end and the dimensions of the bulb. They shipped them to me and they fit perfectly and worked great. We have Calmat flashes as well.

Mark

thanx Mark!

Was that for graphite or metal elements?
How long are your flash times with them?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Flying Colors

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 04:57:26 PM »
Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but I am not 100% sure. I would guess they are metal but could be wrong.

Once we are up and running are flashes are between 1.5 seconds and 3.0 depending on mesh count and ink deposit thickness. On a normal job we typically run at 2.5.

On an unrelated note, has anyone ever had to replace relays in the Calmat flashes? Two Calmat flashes came with the press when we bought the E-Type and we have already had to replace the relays once in each flash. We know we have to replace the relays when the flash will not turn off after the dwell time is up.

They are not that expensive to buy, not from Hirsch of course, but from Newark Electronics. They are fairly easy to replace but it is obviously a dangerous hazard when the bulbs will not turn off.

Mark

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 05:41:17 PM »
Thanks Mark, I'll give them a call on Monday. And thanks to everyone for the help on this. Have a great weekend.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 07:02:18 PM »
Thanks Mark, I'll give them a call on Monday. And thanks to everyone for the help on this. Have a great weekend.

Steve

please keep us posted on what you find out!

thanx
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline squeegee

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 07:06:40 PM »
Thanks Squeegee. Can you PM me what you paid for them. Do they have a website???

Just sent you a PM, I don't think they have a website, I can post pics if you want to see mine, let me know.