Author Topic: Second to none?  (Read 4343 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Second to none?
« on: November 26, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »
Okay, I make a lot of fun with folks who seem to have problems with American, let alone English, and it gets under many folk's skin, but what does this statement from Greg Kinnear in a current Chevy commercial say to you?

“Chevy Silverado delivers a quiet cabin that’s second to nobody in its class… and by nobody, I mean Ram and Ford”.

Are they truly bragging about being #3?

(obviously the way it should have been worded is "Chevy is not second to anyone, and by anyone I mean..."

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Second to none?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 11:48:13 AM »
Frog, welcome to a world of idiots.

What drives me crazy right now is people dropping the word "with".  like this:  "When your done your dinner, you can have dessert."  It should be, "When you finish your dinner, you may have dessert."  Of course I am still fine with saying done, but toss the freaking with in there.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »
not to generalize, but the people who are going to buy a silverado very likely can't understand the difference and breathe mostly through their mouths (my tacoma rules!).

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »
and there I go thinking this was going to be about TSB being second to none!

thats alrite, whin done wear gonna Rok da houze!  ;D

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 12:06:22 PM »
and there I go thinking this was going to be about TSB being second to none!

thats alrite, whin done wear gonna Rok da houze!  ;D

pierre

In that, you would have to clarify just what category we are being judged in.
For sheer size, no way, advertising revenue? I wish.
But for providing an excellent blend of newbie, intermediate, advanced and cutting edge info, while avoiding the strife so prevalent elsewhere, we are second to nobody. And by nobody, I mean nobody.   ;)

Offline Croft

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
 I guess theyd be forth if they had Toyota Tundra on the list .

And ...... Let the flaming begin!   but it is tied with Ford for the most US content of all the trucks.

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 02:28:47 PM »
Here's one I see a lot these days even from professional writers... using "less" instead of "fewer."

"Buying FROG brand armpit wipes means less trips to the bathroom!"

should read...

"Buying FROG brand armpit wipes means fewer trips to the bathroom!"

And mimosatexas... we're TACO brothers!
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 03:00:57 PM »
A few years back, the wife and I went out shopping for a Tacoma but could not find the necessary feature for the two of us to be able to share a car: a height adjustment on the seat. Not even a manual "pump" like has been common on European cars for years.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 03:04:54 PM »
taco4lyfe

Seriously though, I have a 2003 sr5 long bed and LOVE IT.  drives and parks like a car, still a beast. Also only 61,000 miles (half of those in the last year since I got it :D)  Blue book is still around 10g's too.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 04:05:09 PM »
If you own an American made SUV from roughly 2001-2011 then I feel sorry for you son.
Second to BMW's that's the most common car I see broken down on the side of the road.

I don't know how to drive but after having one Yota I'll never own anything else. Hell, in terms of manufacturing
they wrote the book on efficiency. And even then stopped replacing humans with robots so that there would still
be people left to buy their cars.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 04:33:56 PM »
If you own an American made SUV from roughly 2001-2011 then I feel sorry for you son.
Second to BMW's that's the most common car I see broken down on the side of the road.

I don't know how to drive but after having one Yota I'll never own anything else. Hell, in terms of manufacturing
they wrote the book on efficiency. And even then stopped replacing humans with robots so that there would still
be people left to buy their cars.

Wow! While I don't drive a BMW, I think they make a great car ('had several over the years and still have the bike).  I can't remember seeing a broken down BMW on the side of the road. I am sure there had to be some, but I honestly don't remember one and I do tend to check what it is. Maybe it's because they got a towing company to move them to the shop quickly, but I certainly can't relate to the broken down perspective.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »
I honestly get the feeling that the a lot of the kind of folks that buy BMW's are the kind
of folks that think "I spent a million dollars on this car and that's it" in terms of not thinking of maintenance
or anything. Then again I could be wrong, from what I can tell most Jaguars look like POS's.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 05:10:22 PM »
the worst is Land Rover, they have the worst customer retention rates of any car company. 

I am on my 3rd Camry, and our 2nd Sienna.

They are even built here, can't beat that.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 05:16:06 PM »
Yeah, WTF is up with Land Rovers? Oh wait, just looked them up. Subsidiary of Jaguar....

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
taco4lyfe

Seriously though, I have a 2003 sr5 long bed and LOVE IT.  drives and parks like a car, still a beast. Also only 61,000 miles (half of those in the last year since I got it :D)  Blue book is still around 10g's too.

I have a 02 Taco sr5 4x4 . Just hit 100K last week. Its been the most maintenance free automobile Ive ever had. I just dumped some money into in b/c of hitting 100K, but other than that its been brakes and oil changes.