Author Topic: Epson 4900 film not lining up?  (Read 8384 times)

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Epson 4900 film not lining up?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2014, 02:26:51 PM »
You will want to adjust the suction as well. Try -3 and see how much that helps. (Thank Pablo at Parmale for that tip). I just printed a set of films at 22" between reg marks and every color is dead on.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline DSWArtTeam

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2014, 04:50:26 PM »
I am not noticing any type of tension setting in the 4900. I don't see a manual way of tightening or loosening it either. And rom what I can tell the amount that it is off each time is random. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I did notice however today, as a random test. That it seemed.... my removing the roll that was about to expire. And placing it back in after powering off and powering back on the printer that it didn't seem to stretch or squish the image any further.... (did I discover some sort of reloading or new roll tension reset)?

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2014, 05:35:26 PM »
This is the result of what I got when I cut sheets off of a roll.  Either I could line up the top two or the bottom 2 but not both at the same time.  I increased the roll feed tension and the problem went away at least for one 5 color separation.  I've been fighting this problem for awhile and it's been a nightmare so I decided to fix it on my day off.  I took the picture with an iphone so I had to just snap 4 individual pics and put them on 1 page in PS.  I hope you make them out.  I just wonder how many are using the fixxons film?  I'm not bashing it by any means because I've used it for about a year now and I don't know for sure that increasing the tension has really solved my problem for good because I only ran out the one 5 color separation.  I'm just saying it's either the film or something else has happened because I don't remember having this problem before. 

UPS just delivered a 5 pack of 17 inch fixxons film that I ordered but to find out if it makes a difference I also ordered a roll of 5 mil film which is what I used before I started ordering from fixxons but I'll have to set my tension back to the original setting to make if fair.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2014, 05:50:48 PM »
I am not noticing any type of tension setting in the 4900. I don't see a manual way of tightening or loosening it either. And rom what I can tell the amount that it is off each time is random. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I did notice however today, as a random test. That it seemed.... my removing the roll that was about to expire. And placing it back in after powering off and powering back on the printer that it didn't seem to stretch or squish the image any further.... (did I discover some sort of reloading or new roll tension reset)?

Here is a link for yours:  https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/pro49_/pro49_ug.pdf  if youre using windows it's on page 77 if you use a mac it's on page 98

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2014, 06:17:27 PM »
its not the film, I use a different brand, but have the same problem.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2014, 09:29:25 PM »

I second that on the film. That is not the problem unless way too much ink is laid down. Try these settings below. I think I have them all on there.

www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2014, 09:36:32 PM »

I second that on the film. That is not the problem unless way too much ink is laid down. Try these settings below. I think I have them all on there.

Whoa!  thanks for that, will take a look at our settings on Monday.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2014, 09:19:25 AM »
I'll try that as well.  If it works we'll owe you something because you'll be saving us mucho time.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2014, 12:05:29 PM »
If you guys get stuck just PM me and we can go through all the menus together to make sure you do not miss a setting. I have not had to calibrate the stretch in Wasatch yet and so far up to 28 inches tall my films line up fine. I can print out a 1000 mm piece of film in Wasatch and measure its length. if it measures short or long that number can be plugged in to compensate for the stretch. That is the next fix if the above settings wont fix your issues.

I should add we use 17 in Fixxons film. The wider the film the less stretch you get as well. Just in case someone is running a 13 in roll.

www.inkwerksspd.com

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »

Giving it a try, thanks.

Offline DSWArtTeam

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 11:10:56 AM »
Im a little confused. You are suggesting to "decrease" the paper suction to -3? According to the documentation you would decrease the suction when printing on lighter mediums... I would think for waterproof film being its thick you would want to increase it right? Heck, we are willing to try anything at this point, just trying to understand the logic behind the fix. And thanks again for suggesting it! I don't know that I have ever noticed that in the print settings, I certainly have never noticed it on the printer. Im about to go looking for it right now.

We also use a 5mil roll of waterproof film 17" x 100' (2 inch core)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:45:32 AM by DSWArtTeam »

Offline DSWArtTeam

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 03:15:41 PM »
Another question though somewhat off topic is... does anyone know what to set the cutter adjustment to when your cutting roll film?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2014, 04:08:23 PM »
Im a little confused. You are suggesting to "decrease" the paper suction to -3? According to the documentation you would decrease the suction when printing on lighter mediums... I would think for waterproof film being its thick you would want to increase it right? Heck, we are willing to try anything at this point, just trying to understand the logic behind the fix. And thanks again for suggesting it! I don't know that I have ever noticed that in the print settings, I certainly have never noticed it on the printer. Im about to go looking for it right now.

We also use a 5mil roll of waterproof film 17" x 100' (2 inch core)

The little vacuum in there can pull the film down in the channel a bit causing drag and distortion. The key is to have it suck just enough to keep it off the print head.
www.inkwerksspd.com

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2014, 06:44:24 PM »

[/quote]

The little vacuum in there can pull the film down in the channel a bit causing drag and distortion. The key is to have it suck just enough to keep it off the print head.

[/quote]

That makes perfect sense.  I never thought of it that way.  Anyway, I've made the changes you've suggested and it looks like it has solved the problem.  If you are ever in Southeast Arkansas give me a shout and I'll owe you lunch or something.  Thanks again.

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »
Tried the settings posted made it close to the end of the role and the same registration problem.