Author Topic: Latest version of the white t-shirt scam 9-10-13  (Read 3889 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Latest version of the white t-shirt scam 9-10-13
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 06:43:08 AM »
I am telling you, agree to the deal and let them deliver the shirt blanks.  Then string them along.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 09:26:03 AM »
I've tried stringing them along and acted like I took the bait but they never got back to me.  I also tried that with a craigslist scammer last week and they didn't take my bait.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 10:16:44 AM »
Let's face it. For the most part, our experience is with apparel decoration (with only occasional contact with actual scams)
These guys, on the other hand, are full time experienced scammers with constant contact with decorators.
Like the fish that grows to a ripe old age and healthy size, or rather more like professional fishermen themselves, most of these guys probably have an innate sense of hooks and bait.
Of course, you may catch yourself a newbie small fry.  :)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 01:27:47 PM »
I'm just curious of what the actual scam here is. I've received this e-mail and others like it many times.

I mean ultimately, the scammer who is using a stolen credit card will end up with 1200 free shirts printed (perfectly) with Arise and Shine.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 01:35:22 PM »
In all honesty, I was kidding--the problem with most of them is that they are trying to PAY with the shirts with a stolen credit card.  Even if someone with a stolen card delivered shirts to be printed, you gotta figure those shirts were just stolen from someone else.

Really not a good deal either way.  What happens when they leave a trail of bread crumbs from the shop they stole shirts from to your shop? 
Now you look like the scammer--perhaps for good reason...

Offline Northland

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 07:21:40 PM »
I've tried stringing them along and acted like I took the bait but they never got back to me.  I also tried that with a craigslist scammer last week and they didn't take my bait.

I recently heard a historian speak on these types of scams.... he said the origin can be traced to the "spanish prisioner" scam of the late 1800's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Prisoner

The typical Nigerian scammer intentionally drafts the scam so that only the most gullible will respond... that way they don't waste considerable time on those who will never be parted with their money..... better to catch one really dumb fish than have a thousand nibbles that never take the hook.... hence the poor spelling and bad grammar.

Offline Im-Magic

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 07:45:06 PM »
The Scam is the freight charge and duty etc. They do not want the shirts so they will pay for them and the printing with a fake or stolen card. Then they will ask for you to send them to their freight company for on forwarding, the problem is the Freight company does not take Credit Cards so could you please send them the money via TT and charge our credit card. If you do that you will find that the shirts come back "Address does not exist" and the Credit card is rejected but they have your money for the freight.
Stuart

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 12:43:44 AM »
Good explanation.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 09:16:24 AM »
The Scam is the freight charge and duty etc. They do not want the shirts so they will pay for them and the printing with a fake or stolen card. Then they will ask for you to send them to their freight company for on forwarding, the problem is the Freight company does not take Credit Cards so could you please send them the money via TT and charge our credit card. If you do that you will find that the shirts come back "Address does not exist" and the Credit card is rejected but they have your money for the freight.

Very interesting. I figured there had to be more to in down the line.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 02:24:08 PM »
I get these all the time. I find it funny how they don't even put enough effort into it to know what you do. They say things like I hope you do screen printing. That and why they always want blank shirts. If one of these losers sent me in a design I would most likely not even think it was a scam untill it was too late. It does scare me because a month back I had a guy call me and ask for something like 800 blank shirts. He was out of state and I just told him we don't sell blanks. After I hung up (do people still say hung up since your not hanging the phone anymore???) I thought about it and I bet that was them trying to scam me.

Good luck to all of you.

Jon

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »
I know it's a scam when they ask for 1000 blanks or 1000 printed Tees, cause it's very rare for us to get a customer like that without them standing right in front of us.  I can see this scam working on larger companies that have orders like that flying around every day with sales staff out the boot.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 07:29:01 PM »
Maybe they'll have success with Custom Ink.   ;)
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers