Author Topic: Question to the group  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Scobey Peterman

Question to the group
« on: September 15, 2016, 07:44:39 AM »
I have been asked to print on this Sanmar product. JST64

Number one........it is water-repellent.  I've never done this before.

Number 2   It has a netting like liner inside of the jacket.  I'm concerned that my print will have the look of the liner though the design.

What do you think???
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:57:43 AM by Scobey Peterman »
Quality over Quantity

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Question to the group
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 09:54:05 AM »
call sanmar se if the thing has a PORT-POCKET which is an inside zipper for entry behind the inner liner. If it does than a little different setup is required but you can get to just the outer poly layer without the inner liner "stamping" into the print.
I would het apply the logo if possible from that point.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 10:24:50 AM »
call sanmar se if the thing has a PORT-POCKET which is an inside zipper for entry behind the inner liner. If it does than a little different setup is required but you can get to just the outer poly layer without the inner liner "stamping" into the print.
I would het apply the logo if possible from that point.
mooseman
The "Port Pocket". or similar access openings on Eddie Bauer and others seem more geared to embroidery, though I've used them for foam pillows for heat seal.
They also tend to be only for left breast. Full backs, we're outta luck. Also, this is a pullover which could complicate the use of this feature.

If the job total can justify it, I'd order a test item (in my size) Print it with another screen I already have (unless they are also doing shirts). Of course, I do almost all heat seal on these, so, along with Scobey's poly ink requirement, this could be a major pain.
I also hate the expectation of wiping down with alcohol or something to remove the water repellant coating for printing, and would always warn the client that these are no longer water proof or water repellent.
btw, on some Eddie Bauer rain parkas with the "Gore-Tex-like" breathable membrane, and water-repellent poly shell, I had had good luck with plain old Siser Easyweed.
On these, I am able to use the access zipper and my small label heat press. That avoided the "net pattern" that Scobey also worries about.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 05:32:50 PM »
I remember the first time I made the mistake of agreeing to a large print on jackets that ending up having quilted lining. It was also the last time I agreed to print such a thing. Thankfully, it was just couple jackets as a favor... because that quilting did show through in the print. And I literally had to take a small paint brush & plastisol and a LONG time to fill out the worst of the lines. It was passable, but a real run like this would have been a disaster.

You've already received better practical advice above; all I can say is DEFINITELY make sure you can do this, and that you know exactly how, before you commit to a run.

...and, maybe call SanMar to find to out if & where an access port is located in this garment?
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Scobey Peterman

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 05:35:14 AM »
This is a subcontract job.  I have no say on what the garment is.

The salesman came and got them an and took them to the coach.  Left them blank.

Problem solved.

Quality over Quantity

Offline ftembroidery

• !!!
  • Just got new glasses, but I'm still disillusioned
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 09:10:27 PM »
I have found that SOME jackets, etc. from SanMar have the Port Pocket for embroidering the left chest.  Sometimes it is in the arm pit area, sometimes it is next to the zipper.  Either way, a sleeve platen would fit for a left chest embellishment (embroidery, screen print, dye sublimation).  On rare occasion, they will have an access zipper at the lower hem on the back so you can insert a large jacket-back hoop in, or a platen (screen print), or a pillow/pad for heat press (vinyl or dye sub).  I am not familiar with this particular garment, and SanMar's site says nothing at all about Port Pockets, etc., so whether this one has such access to the front and back.....who knows?  Since it is 100% poly, it would be a perfect candidate for dye sub.

I know you already returned the garments, but it's something to keep in mind.
Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the strength to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to recognize the difference.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 09:16:23 PM »
I have found that SOME jackets, etc. from SanMar have the Port Pocket for embroidering the left chest.  Sometimes it is in the arm pit area, sometimes it is next to the zipper.  Either way, a sleeve platen would fit for a left chest embellishment (embroidery, screen print, dye sublimation).  On rare occasion, they will have an access zipper at the lower hem on the back so you can insert a large jacket-back hoop in, or a platen (screen print), or a pillow/pad for heat press (vinyl or dye sub).  I am not familiar with this particular garment, and SanMar's site says nothing at all about Port Pockets, etc., so whether this one has such access to the front and back.....who knows?  Since it is 100% poly, it would be a perfect candidate for dye sub.

I know you already returned the garments, but it's something to keep in mind.

Even if white, the water repellant coating might add some issues for dye sublimation.
Also, I do not know how the textured liner would affect that heat seal process as to adding that mesh pattern to the print.
On a related note, my San Mar rep dropped in yesterday and doubted that a pullover like this would be able to utilize their access pocket feature. Most garments that have this feature tout it in their description.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?