Author Topic: Stuck Pallet Tape on Action Eng. Pallets...what to do?  (Read 5699 times)

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Stuck Pallet Tape on Action Eng. Pallets...what to do?
« on: November 22, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Got some youth and sleeve pallets from Action Eng. and I cant get the pallet tape of for anything!   Anybody got a trick to remove old pallet tape that has bonded with the pallet.  Thanks in advance for the tips.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline GaryG

• !!!
Re: Stuck Pallet Tape on Action Eng. Pallets...what to do?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
I have found out the hard way. The pallet tape that they say is actually "pallet tape"
is too strong and was a bear to get off.

The easiest way when you re-cover is a "conform" type or light tack. It made a world of difference.
A vinyl remover or Goo Gone? Some say heat. Otherwise patience and time...keep working at it.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:31:34 PM »
I have got them good and warm and let a mild ink degradent soak on them for a little bit. It softens the adhesive and will come right off. On the really stubborn sht I have let it soak on it for a half hour. Thats what I have done in the past to get off.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 07:51:48 AM »
tried all of that with not much luck at all.

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 09:14:32 AM »
You might try one of those wallpaper removal tools (see; Paper Tiger Scoring Tool at WalMart) to score the surface of the pallet tape to let the solvent get into contact with and disolve the adhesive.
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 09:20:04 AM »
DON'T let it happen again, but kerosene is what I use when I screw up and let them get too hot, or wait too long between paper changes. I use sign making transfer paper. Transferrite, I think.

I just put paper towels on the VERY level shirtboard and squirt some kerosene from a clear mustard (or ketchup) bottle from Wal-Mart. Let SOAK a few hours, and peel up with a putty knife.

The adhesive turns to a disgusting gel, slimy as snot. Scrape as much as possible with your putty knife and finish off with some lacquer thinner that will also remove any excess brain cells you might have.

Don't wait so long next time. Guess how I know?

<edit> just noticed these are a new acquisition. Sorry to scold you Dirk.  ;-)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:27:41 AM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
I need the scolding!  I know better!  I just put them on a shelf where the sun shines on them all day and left them there for 6 months.  I need my a$$ kicked, but for now I just need a solution.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »
not to confuse anyone, these didn't come from Action this way, they were new.  Just thought if I mentioned their name that Eric might jump in here with the solution.  Not their fault.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 10:47:25 AM »
did you try screen opener?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »
If kerosene isn't nasty enough, good old lacquer thinner might do the job, though I hate to use it for much of anything.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 11:50:11 AM »
Slits can help whatever juice you choose to penetrate, but of course, if not done carefully, can damage the platten rubber.
The wallpaper removal tools like the Tiger that PWalsh mentioned contain ponce wheels, which are safer, and the tool looks like it keeps them from penetrating too far.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 12:29:06 PM »
Yeah, I had to fix a small portion of drywall after a little too much exuberance, but once you have the touch, it works well.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Action1

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 12:49:51 PM »
not to confuse anyone, these didn't come from Action this way, they were new.  Just thought if I mentioned their name that Eric might jump in here with the solution.  Not their fault.

Thanks for the clarification Mr. Diggler. We are actually working a full shift today and this is the first time I saw the post.

I think Mr. CrOoked's suggestion was probably the best.
The reason this happens is due to leaving the paper on for way to long. When previously investigating this phenomena, I found that the formula for pallet paper adhesive is very close to that of the pallet rubber. If the two materials are heated too many times between changing - then they fuse together. The Moral to the story is - don't do that, if you can help it.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 01:17:48 PM »
..I battled this a buncha times. Best solution I found was to lightly score the tape all over (good idea on the pounce tool, gotta try that next time). Then spray it down with BeanieDoo, and let it sit overnight. The next day, the tape usually peels up with minimal effort.
...NOTE: if you have some areas of a pallet that already has tape removed, the rubber may take on the pattern of the paper towel due to swelling. DONT PANIC (like I did), because this goes away after a day or so. a little heat helps this.

...Since we are on the subject...anyone have a link to a place we can order tape and make absolutely sure it is the low-tack stuff? Like, TSB tested-and-approved? I have asked for low-tack on more than one occasion, but it sure didn't seem like that's what I got.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 08:58:48 PM »
I was going to suggest that or icky sticky unstuck score it wipe it down and stick plastic over it for an hour or two

Roger
RT screen designs
Www.rtscreendesigns. Com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com