Author Topic: Buying Our First Automatic Screen printer (after visiting ISS 2014 LGB)  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Kwan

• Verified/Junior
Dear Fellows,

Following link was for my first thread before visiting ISS 2014 LGB,
"Help me Buy a Right Automatic Screen printing machines" http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,10210.msg99041/topicseen.html#new

I want to say,Thank you for all your help on recent project, It was really helpful to have everyone's input since I had no experience in screen printing field. I really appreciate your guidance, and the time you spent with me to make this project go well.

After attending ISS 2014 LGB;
A lot of things has change. As I explain in my first thread, we require screen printer primarily for our company to print our logo (please check at the bottom on this thread), however we also want to have option for more color, we may not use all colors but more color printer can be sale easily once we done with it.

Short story why do we need printer;
We are shipping our tee-shirt along with other promo item to our web visitors for free of charge, however they pay for shipping. To make our viewers happy we are planing to cut delivery cost and time, so we decided to go for two unit one for in east cost and second for west cost (for now we will just pick one setup for east coast)

At ISS 2014 LGB;
I physically seen these machines and they are huge. Please keep in mind we just need Screen printer only for two years. We really trying to avoid to have large place and special set up like 3Phase and so.

In above situation we narrowed down our selection. We definitely do not have budget for two large machines. So we decide to split our budget for two smaller units (note: All pre-press procedure for screen printing will be done by 3rd party)

Leaning towards
1- Brown MFG. ElectraPrint Junior Automatic Textile (4 color, 7 station), (Quote $25K)
http://brownmfg.net/p/103/electraprint-junior-automatic-textile-printer

with Quartz Air Flash Dryer (QF1618A) Heat Area: 16" x 18", Activate from printer
http://brownmfg.net/c/7/flash-cure-dryers

and Air Pony 36" Conveyor Dryer (AP3607) Belt Size: 36" x 7'. Oven Chamber: 48"
http://brownmfg.net/p/100/airpony-dryer

Backup plan for
2- Mini-Trooper Start-Up Screen Printing Package with XL Package (Quote $process in negotiation)
http://www.lawsonsp.com/screen-printing-equipment/start-up-packages/mini-trooper

Again we planing to have these Screen printer only for two years with warranty. We will successfully be recovering our funds for two unit within 3 months. After two year we will be happy to let these machines go and accept half price if possible.

Please share your comments, your feedback is highly appreciated and will help me to move forward.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:56:53 PM by Kwan »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
I think rethinking and not jumping the gun is the right move. 'very glad to see you doing it.

While those are not necessarily the presses I would chose, you could get the job done with them. The significantly bigger problem is going to be setting up the shop and knowing what to do. My suggestion would be to find a printer you are going to hire and have him or a consultant comment on the choice of equipment and setup. Just like anything else, you will be relaying on this person's experience heavily so make sure they know what they are talking about.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Kwan

• Verified/Junior
Re: Buying Our First Automatic Screen printer (after visiting ISS 2014 LGB)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »
Thanks for your input pierre,

Yes we are in process of hiring an experienced candidate,
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:38:12 PM by Kwan »

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 03:59:41 PM »
to add in here, look at resale value if you only need it for two years...I don't think a brown will hold it's value like other brands will...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 04:01:47 PM »
This sounds insane to me......

If you are doing enough shirts, you can source them already printed in Asia, Mexico, Central America, etc. cheaper than you can buy blanks in USA....

Offline Kwan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »
to add in here, look at resale value if you only need it for two years...I don't think a brown will hold it's value like other brands will...

Absolutely correct and I agreed, this is we have to accept it.

If you are doing enough shirts, you can source them already printed in Asia, Mexico, Central America, etc. cheaper than you can buy blanks in USA....

Thanks,
yes We are fully aware of this option and its the best, however the trouble is we can't afford turn around time that is why we were force to deal with local contractors.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »

Absolutely correct and I agreed, this is we have to accept it.

Thanks,
yes We are fully aware of this option and its the best, however the trouble is we can't afford turn around time that is why we were force to deal with local contractors.
If this is for two years why not buy used. You would be way better off than what you are willing to pay and there are better options. I personally think from the decision making I am seeing you could produce way better product with a contract printer for a lot less than you are going to do it. Good luck either way!
Rich Hoffman

Offline Kwan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 05:23:02 PM »
If this is for two years why not buy used. You would be way better off than what you are willing to pay and there are better options. I personally think from the decision making I am seeing you could produce way better product with a contract printer for a lot less than you are going to do it. Good luck either way!
Thanks

I agreed,
However, Buying a piece of used equipment it’s a bit of a gamble. We want equipment comes with full warranty, the new machine's warranty is untouchable (without paying extra).

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
Thanks

I agreed,
However, Buying a piece of used equipment it’s a bit of a gamble. We want equipment comes with full warranty, the new machine's warranty is untouchable (without paying extra).
Question. What do you estimate your out the door cost to be per shirt including all expenses?
Rich Hoffman

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 05:39:41 PM »
We'll shoot if this only a two year project drop a new press my choice (not one of the ones your selecting)  on my floor, supply the shirts and I'll print them for free and keep the press after the two years

Offline Kwan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 05:56:22 PM »
Question. What do you estimate your out the door cost to be per shirt including all expenses?
In Year of 2013, each contract (only printing excluding garments) cost us over 130K for 12 month printing (2500 tees per week).
Buying our own System may cut annual cost in 30% to 50% (if we can run our own machine in part-time).

There will be much more benefits to have our own printing department. How ever the biggest advantage will be the turn-around time, which is the most important factor in our online Business.

We'll shoot if this only a two year project drop a new press my choice (not one of the ones your selecting)  on my floor, supply the shirts and I'll print them for free and keep the press after the two years
Thanks for your great offer (lol)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:07:03 PM by Kwan »

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 06:05:15 PM »
I do not now per shirt, however in Year of 2013, each contract (only printing excluding garments) cost us over 130K for 12 month printing (2500 per week).
Buying our own System can may cut this cost in half (if we can run our own machine in part-time )
There will be more benefits to have our own printing department, how ever Biggest advantage will be turn-around time, which is the most tmportant factor our Business

1.00 per shirt?.....Shopping around you should be able to cut that down 1/3 to 1/2 without buying equipment.....

Offline Kwan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 06:13:13 PM »
1.00 per shirt?.....Shopping around you should be able to cut that down 1/3 to 1/2 without buying equipment.....

I Agreed, we did try (in NYC) but no luck, how ever we have found better offer out of town.
I believe this time we will move forward to have our own printing department.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:18:41 PM by Kwan »

Offline Kwan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 06:14:38 PM »
Opps

Offline repogolfer

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »
Just an opinion here but I'd take a used M&R with no warranty over any of those 2 presses new with a warranty. 

Warranty or not...you'll be down for days and you'll still have to pay for transportation if I'm not mistaken...wouldn't it make more sense to by something that even used will be more reliable than your choices...and then to boot you won't have to take a 1/2 price hit after 2 years.

Sorry if this is harsh...and I don't know what I'm talking about most of the time...but with those #'s that your running and the presses that you mentioned you may just want to pay a tech to live on site at your location.